Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foundation slab - different thickness

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
w.kolodziej
3170 Views, 17 Replies

Foundation slab - different thickness

Hello,

I would like to ask you about helping me with my problem.

I would like to model foundation slab, which has two different thicknesses of panels. When I create two panels, the thickness of them starts from the axis int the middle, and I would like to have a bottom on the same level....I have no idea how to model it...

To precise, one of part is 2 x 2 m, thickness: 0,5m, and the second one: 2 x 2 m and thickness is 1,0m. I would like those parts working together of course. Is it better to make two separate panels or maybe is there any other way?

Which type of model will be the best for such construction? Is it Building design or maybe Slab Creator?

Thank you for your help 🙂

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: w.kolodziej

1. Create and mesh panels in one plane
2. Freeze meshes
3 Copy one of these panels below and delete the original one used for copying
4. Connect pairs of "edge" nodes (to connect lower and upper panels) by rigid links

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 18
w.kolodziej

Hello,

thank you for your response.

I had made 3 points of your instruction and I stoped on 4th one.

I would like to ask, what do you mean by: "Connect pairs of "edge" nodes (to connect lower and upper panels) by rigid links"

What are rigid links? Supports..or maybe some rigid bars?

I have tried to model it as you can see on image MES in attachments, by moving all "edge" nodes of lower panel mesh to the upper one. Is it correct?

My clear model after 3 steps from your instructions looks like image MES 2 in attachments.

Thank you again 🙂

Message 4 of 18
Rafacascudo

Rigid links on , geometry/additional atributes/ Rigid links.

You can link the pair of nodes one by one or use  " according to list"  if you have many pairs of nodes to link

rigid links 1.jpgrigid links 2.jpg

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
w.kolodziej
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thank you very much!

Works pefectly

Message 6 of 18
leegsstewart

Hello,

If you want to keep the level of the two different thicknesses of the slabs the same (one 600 thick and adjoing 200mm) , and are supported by on edges by RC walls, is there much merit in adopting this approach?

The wall panels would need to be adjusted too and rigid links adopted in the vertical plane. Is this introducing a complexity that is not rquired?

Many thanks

Cheers

Lee

Message 7 of 18
Rafacascudo
in reply to: leegsstewart

If I understood correctly , forget the rigid links , and connect the slabs directly to the wall on the appropriate levels

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
leegsstewart

Rafael,

Thanks for your reply.

I will use the rigid links for the step in slab levels abd split the walls and adjust the respective heights to suit.

Cheers

Lee

Message 9 of 18
Dan.Sofronie

Hi 

Message 10 of 18
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Dan.Sofronie

It could be .

But If it´s a regular building slab and there are no horizontal forces involved , I would model the 2 slabs on the same level with the beam between them.

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
Dan.Sofronie

Then how would you get the efforts in the beam that forms there?

Message 12 of 18
Rafacascudo

1- Model with the 2 slabs on the same level and the beam modelled as a bar element receiving the load from the slabs

2- 2 slabs on different levels with the beam modelled as a panel linking both slabs . Forces on this "beam" /panel obtained through panel cuts reduced results.

panel cuts reduced results.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
Dan.Sofronie

Thanks.

And if I choose the 2nd option is there a way to see the bending moment Myy(for a beam) in the panel/beam?

If I do a panel cut along the x axis the result look strange.

Message 14 of 18
Rafacascudo

Reduced moment(X,Y,Z) is given on relation to global coordinate system . So  like in the picture below , you will have to do several cuts along the panel/beam lenght to have the values you want/need.

I did just one cut at midspan to compare bending moment on the panel/beam with the on in bar/beam.

bar x panel.jpg

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
Dan.Sofronie

Thanks

Message 16 of 18
mike.kovacs

I'm reviewing a model where small steps in various slabs are modelled as panels, so this question is on my radar now.

My question is, what are the pros and cons to modelling two slab levels and putting rigid links (as suggested early-on in this thread), versus the panel or the bar approach you suggested in the latter half of this thread?

Message 17 of 18

Hi @mike.kovacs

IMHO the answer what option to decide on is based on the kind of results you want to see in the 'connection':

forces in rigid links, diagrams in a bar, maps in a panel

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 18 of 18

Fair enough, thanks. I was thinking one method was far more efficient than the other, or less likely to cause computational problems. When our model has a panel in there, the mesh doesn't look much different than a series of rigid links anyways (not a highly refined mesh).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report