Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation CFD 360 2014: Free surface not working

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Titan91
317 Views, 5 Replies

Simulation CFD 360 2014: Free surface not working

After running a solve with free surface enabled, I right click out of the model in the results pane and click "free surface" to view the fluid as suggested in the help dialog. However, nothing happens. Nothing changes, with or without traces turned on. Am I missing something? I have attached the model file I am using.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Titan91

Hi,

Please could you share your CFZ file so that we can check your setup?

Many thanks,
Jon

Message 3 of 6
Titan91
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Sorry, here it is.

Message 4 of 6
Royce_adsk

Hi Titan,

I quickly looked at your model and it seems that you have your model setup to be initially full with only water coming in, therefore there is no free surface to solve for.  Did you mean to have the boundary condition to have the water flowing out?

Thanks!

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 6
Titan91
in reply to: Royce_adsk

The initial idea was to fill the tank with water. However, I believe we got an error mesage when filling the tank with air before having the water come in. Something to the extent of "two fluids are touching" and it would not let us run the simulation. We did include the water level height parameter before starting, but did not see an adjustment for the actual water height. Is it possible to fill the tank with a void?

Message 6 of 6
Jon.Wilde

It will already be considered 'empty', even though you assign water to it. It is the 'Height of Fluid' Initial Condition that controls this.

If you assigned a 'Height of Fluid' Initial Condition to the volume, this would then be 100% full.

Knowing this you could also split it into two volumes in CAD, the bottom half with height of fluid assigned and the top half just as water with no initial condition. This would then be half full (or half empty depending on your outlook 🙂 )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums