Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share & Consume Package in 'Plans' instead of 'Project Files<Shared'

Share & Consume Package in 'Plans' instead of 'Project Files<Shared'

In the current workflow, Team 1 shares a Package in 'Design Collaboration Swimlanes' & it creates a copy of the file/package in 'Project Files<Shared' folder. Team 2 consumes the package & the file gets copied in 'Project Files<Team 2<Consumed<Team 1' folder.
The project managers can actually just work directly in 'Project Files'. The only useful function of 'Plans' is OCR.
Why don't you consider giving a specific function to each area so that only one workflow is possible. Function of Plans folder should be 'A place where you share, explore, review & consume' packages. It is the Outgoing/ Shared/ Published Folder in BS 1192 terms.
Function of 'Project Files' is to store everything & process it. So it is the 'Incoming' & 'WIP' Area.
It would be even better if you had 3 folders - Incoming, WIP, Outgoing.
2 Comments

I consider the Plans section to be the equivalent of “Published”, except for the “Coordination” folder. 

I reserve the “Shared” folder for C4R, but then I also have a BIM shared folder.

Until BIM 360 has Vault-like functionality where users can check-out and check-in documents, I fail to see how non-Design Collaboration users can use the platform as WIP. This is why I don’t store a project family library on BIM 360. Instead the project becomes the family library. It is an interesting platform that is open to interpretation for any country or standard. Not sure if I would like it rigidly defined, but I am watching it keenly.

0FFA0D88-F7FE-4A9B-8701-22FA750C2942.png

bnovotny
Enthusiast

@Anonymous I think the Plans folder should just be completely removed. It requires redundant work and is completely confusing as to its functionality/purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report