Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM 360 Docs takes very long to process a surface published via Civil 3D

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
charl.pretorius
355 Views, 4 Replies

BIM 360 Docs takes very long to process a surface published via Civil 3D

Hi,

I have been using the functionality in Civil 3D to publish surfaces for use in Revit since its release in late 2018 and up until recently it worked like a dream.

Since last week, it takes BIM 360 Docs hours to process my surfaces before I can use it in Revit. Nothing of my workflow has changed, not even the Civil 3D file, only the surfaces I'm publishing. It takes a few seconds for the file to upload via the desktop connector and then is sits in the cloud telling me it's busy processing.

Last week it took 3 hours to process a 1MB file and today it took an hour for a 350kB file. It cannot be the file size; a few weeks back I shared a 10MB surface with 100s of thousands of triangles a few times in the space of an hour and every time the surface has finished processing before I can even switch to my Revit window and reload the link.

Some things I tried with no success:

• I have tried updating my desktop connector
  • Using Civil 3D 2019 and 2020
  • Using a clean file with only my to-be-published surfaces d-ref'ed
  • Publishing a single surface at a time.

Do you perhaps have any advice for me regarding my workflow? If the error is not in my ways I would like to bring this to Autodesk's attention as this is really kerbing our workflow.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
smithmat
in reply to: charl.pretorius

A have a couple suggestions to try and help us narrow down the problem:
1.  Could you record a video/screencast showing the issue?

2. Would you be willing to add me to your project and point me to a sample dataset that would cause the issue (to see if I am able to reproduce the issue on my end (if so, you can send this info via a direct message).
3. Do you suspect that this coincided with any updates performed.  E.g. if you thought it might be related to an update to Desktop Connector, you could try installing older versions of Desktop Connector and see if the issue persists:
https://help.autodesk.com/view/CONNECT/ENU/?guid=GUID-D1BA7370-A163-4783-BE70-5B6576CCAC0C

4. Collect and send me the Desktop Connector diagnostic logs and I'll see if there are any leads there (on the Desktop Connector Tray, go to Help->Diagnostic logs... and send the generated zip file.

Message 3 of 5
charl.pretorius
in reply to: smithmat

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the quick response. I have shared new surfaces in an attempt to recreate the issue while I was recording a screencast. What happened was that I have recorded the perfect demo for Autodesk to show how it should work.

I am not aware that it coincided with any updates, as a matter of fact, I struggle to get any updates pushed to my computer. Maybe something could have updated in the background which I'm unaware of, but none of my major software packages.

After the desktop connector uploaded the file and I refreshed the folder in Chrome, the processing was done already. I did another test sharing ten surfaces in one file, including those that was part of the problem, and it still shared instantly.

I have attached two logs, one from last week and one from this week. I've posted a link to the screencast in any way just to demonstrate my workflow, if there might be something strange in there.

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

c8a4aaa7-652e-4a03-b5fe-0e72d9dd60e8

Message 4 of 5
smithmat
in reply to: charl.pretorius

Ok, thanks.  I'll take a look at the logs and see if there is anything I notice that gives me a lead on what the issue was. 
If it occurs again, please collect logs and video at that time.

Message 5 of 5
smithmat
in reply to: smithmat

There is some indication in the logs that there was an issue communicating with our services at `'developer.api.autodesk.`.  So, it could have been a temporary service issue.  If you run into a performance issue again, it may be worth checking at https://health.autodesk.com/ to see if there is a service issues/outage.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report