Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Connector Location

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
swohlgemuth
5311 Views, 20 Replies

Desktop Connector Location

Hi All

Can I change the location of the desktop connector files from my C drive to another Drive? if yes how?

Thank you

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

@swohlgemuth

Thank you for your post. 

I do not think it is possible to change where the connected drives are installed, but I will double check with our engineers. 

Also, maybe you would like to share the reason you would like to change where everything is installed? Just to make sure we got the whole picture here.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 3 of 21

Good Morning Bogdan
The main reason is that at this point my computer has a hybrid hard drive that gives me a very small C(200GB), and a big D drive(900GB). I was looking if it was possible until I change and install a 1 Thera C drive in here.
Thank you for your answer
Sandra Wohlgemuth
Message 4 of 21

@swohlgemuth

Hi,

I have double checked with our development team and, yes, I have confirmed that at the moment we cannot choose where to install Desktop Connector.

I have also logged an improvement request, so maybe we will see this implemented in the future. 

I hope this was helpful.

Best regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Ciobanu
Message 5 of 21
tothk
in reply to: bogdan_ciobanu

Hi!

I have the same problem with the install location. Have you solved this issue already?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 21
smithmat
in reply to: swohlgemuth

In the latest version of Desktop Connector, the installer allows the ability to change the install location (Options button in the installer):
You can download the latest version here:
https://help.autodesk.com/view/CONNECT/ENU/?guid=GUID-847CE3FC-B26F-46B8-895E-5D825F4BD540

Thanks, 
Matt

Message 7 of 21
dan.stine
in reply to: smithmat

This is great! Thanks to Autodesk for providing a solution to this. I wrote about this on my blog, BIM Chapters:https://bimchapters.blogspot.com/2019/07/autodesk-desktop-connector-update.html

Message 8 of 21
dan.stine
in reply to: dan.stine

False alarm... turns out this is just for the install location of DC, not the local cache files. Sorry:(

Message 9 of 21
Richard.Batty
in reply to: dan.stine

A Little investigation of some of the control files in your User area

eg... C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Desktop Connector\v4\Data Source Instances\BIM 360

You will find a file called Instance.xml

Inside that file you can alter the location of the Cache to where ever you want. Stop the Desktop connector first then make the change and restart desktop connector.

eg.. my default location as below and then altered

WorkspaceLocation="C:\Users\Richard\BIM 360"

WorkspaceLocation="E:\BIM360"

Richard.

Message 10 of 21

I've done this and it seems to have worked.

Message 11 of 21
dan.stine
in reply to: jmeadows9D3GQ

I was able to relocate the BIM 360 local files using another method and it has been workign for several months now. Editing that file might get replaced with updates? Here is what I did: https://bimchapters.blogspot.com/2019/05/move-bim-360-cache-files-to-another.html

Message 12 of 21
hdendy
in reply to: Richard.Batty

Did you have to first create a folder E:\BIM360?

Message 13 of 21
jmeadows9D3GQ
in reply to: hdendy

I did, yes. I created a separate partition to hold all of the BIM 360 files. I went ahead and moved Google Drive, OneDrive, etc to that drive as well.

Message 14 of 21

Richard, Thanks for the tip on changing path in the Instance.xml file. This has changed the path but I'm still seeing the BIM 360 drive in C:\Users\John.Buxton is this correct?

Message 15 of 21

Hi @john.buxtonLVQ8H 

After you change the route in the Instance.xml file, you should see BIM360 in your other hard drive.

If that's not happening just check if the path has been change in the Instance.xml file, then sign out and exit the Desktop connector and open it again, after that you should be able to see it on you other hard drive.

if that doesn't work, try to sign out and exit the app before changing the Instance.xml path.

Message 16 of 21
Message 17 of 21
MinhNguyen1
in reply to: Richard.Batty

It works perfect

thanks a lot

Message 18 of 21
smithmat
in reply to: swohlgemuth

"Change Workspace" command has been added to the product with the latest release (15.6.0) which is now available for download.

Message 19 of 21
jeff_howard2
in reply to: smithmat

The latest version I can see online is March 23, 2022 (v. 15.5.0.1684)

Do you have a link to the new version?

Message 20 of 21
smithmat
in reply to: jeff_howard2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report