Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
MikeKovacik4928
905 Views, 8 Replies

Draughting Standards

Cad Managers

Here is something I posted on the autocad forum.

It was suggested I come here to see what you have to say

see the post below to see what everybody has had to say so far on the autocad forum

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/draughting-standards/m-p/8194398#M944585

Does anybody worry about draughting standards anymore.

Way back in the 1980's our drawing office use to keep a copy of BS 308 parts 1 to 3

Since then I have never seen a copy of a draughting standard.

I believe BS 308 has been superseded by BS 8888, I have never seen a copy

The South African Standard is SANS 10111-1 : 2011, I have never seen a copy .

The ISO standard I believe is ISO 128, I have never seen a copy

None of these are available as PDF copies on the internet.

Does anybody, these days, bother keeping a copy of the relevant draughting standard,

in the drawing office, and if so which one, do you use your own country's standard or the ISO one?

Michael Kovacik
2d & 3d Autocad and Inventor designer/draughtsman
Draughting/Designing (Manufacturing) (31 yrs)
-Drawing Board (3 yrs)
--Cad (28 yrs)
---Cadkey (4 yrs)
---AutoCAD 2d & 3d (16 yrs)
---Inventor (4 yrs)
---Autocad and Inventor Simultaneously (4 years)
---(and recently Autocad/Inventor Customisation)
Authorised Autocad & Inventor Professional
Authorised Autodesk Trainer
Higher Diploma Mechanical Engineering
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2018
Autocad 2018, Inventor Pro 2018
(personal licensed copy)
Johannesburg, South Africa
(Impossible only means you haven't
found the solution yet)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

We kinda follow ANSI here.  I might have seen the book at my last job.  It can be purchase from ANSI.

Message 3 of 9
pkolarik
in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Our company has been in existence in this industry for almost 110 years. I've been here for 26 of those years. We've always had drafting standards (board --> autocad --> revit) from the printouts/paperwork I've seen.

We've *never* paid money to utilize a drafting standards system that was created by whoknowswho. Instead what we do is use a combination of industry-accepted drawing standards in our region (i.e. - accepted by the people who read the prints to build from them) and our vast experience in this industry (A/E).

Our standards are periodically gone over and adjusted/tweaked as needed by a small group of users who actually do the drafting/modeling, with occasional input from company management. We have a well-established "this is the way our company's deliverables are supposed to look", and those standards are always tweaked while keeping that in mind.

In the past we've had printed/bound books with our drafting standards (I still have the first one I was given here, printed on an old dot-matrix printer), and nowadays we have a pdf on our network drive that gets updated as needed.

Coming up with a company-wide standard in our office is a bit complicated at times as we do all disciplines in-house and so any standard has to take all of those different needs into account.

If someone is not following the drafting standards a best as possible (Revit screws with that somewhat as there's things that autocad could do on paper drawings that Revit simply doesn't do as well, or at all), we "name and shame" them in front of the other drafters 😉

Message 4 of 9
MikeKovacik4928
in reply to: pkolarik

pkolarik

Thanks for your input

Our standards are periodically gone over and adjusted/tweaked as needed by a small group of users who actually do the drafting/modeling, with occasional input from company management. We have a well-established "this is the way our company's deliverables are supposed to look", and those standards are always tweaked while keeping that in mind.

We don't have any standards yet. I am trying to persuade drawing office management as well as drafters, but I am a lone voice in the wind.

Also the "this is the way our drawings are supposed to look" has not been established either, again I am pushing, so far to no avail.

If someone is not following the drafting standards a best as possible (Revit screws with that somewhat as there's things that autocad could do on paper drawings that Revit simply doesn't do as well, or at all), we "name and shame" them in front of the other drafters .

The naming and shaming wouldn't work here, as there is no set way of doing anything or set appearance for company drawing (except for the company titleblock), also there would be  too many valid excuses , ie no central block library, no standard ctb plot styles, some use annotative scaling, other don't etc, etc

Also we are allowed by drawing office management to work in whatever way we wish, thus making it a little bit difficult to check other drafter's drawings.

We have 9 people including the 2 managers drafting in autocad 2d. I am the only drafter also working in autocad 3d and Inventor.

Mike

Message 5 of 9
pkolarik

@MikeKovacik4928 wrote:

pkolarik

Thanks for your input

We don't have any standards yet. I am trying to persuade drawing office management as well as drafters, but I am a lone voice in the wind.

Also the "this is the way our drawings are supposed to look" has not been established either, again I am pushing, so far to no avail.

If someone is not following the drafting standards a best as possible (Revit screws with that somewhat as there's things that autocad could do on paper drawings that Revit simply doesn't do as well, or at all), we "name and shame" them in front of the other drafters .

The naming and shaming wouldn't work here, as there is no set way of doing anything or set appearance for company drawing (except for the company titleblock), also there would be  too many valid excuses , ie no central block library, no standard ctb plot styles, some use annotative scaling, other don't etc, etc

Also we are allowed by drawing office management to work in whatever way we wish, thus making it a little bit difficult to check other drafter's drawings.

We have 9 people including the 2 managers drafting in autocad 2d. I am the only drafter also working in autocad 3d and Inventor.

Mike

Holy cripes. I couldn't even imagine working in a company without at least a standard ctb for printing. That right there would make it nearly impossible to have drawings that all look the same across the company.

If you have no buy-in from anyone above "drafter" status in your company then you're more than likely stuck working in those conditions.

Probably the only "out" I can see for you is to create your *own* set of standards and use them on everything you do. With luck, over time maybe the others will start to use what you use and things will get better overall (I've done that here in the past when I introduced Sheet Sets to the company. No one was interested in learning how to use them, so I used them myself and little by little others began using them. Now we use them on every acad project we do)

Good luck. It doesn't sound like a fun setup you have there.

Message 6 of 9
MikeKovacik4928

pkolarik

Thanks for your feed back

Holy cripes. I couldn't even imagine working in a company without at least a standard ctb for printing. That right there would make it nearly impossible to have drawings that all look the same across the company

I couldn't imagine any different, I have been in 11 drawing offices over a period of about 34 years, and have

never used a standard ctb for printing.

If you have no buy-in from anyone above "drafter" status in your company then you're more than likely stuck working in those conditions.

No buy in from any one above or even at drafter status

Probably the only "out" I can see for you is to create your *own* set of standards and use them on everything you do

That is exactly what I have started doing.

Not exactly ideal, however interaction with you guys on the forum, allows me to keep my sanity,

and talk to experienced cad people that have implemented good cad workflows and procedures,

something I don't seem to be able to experience here!!

Mike

Message 7 of 9
pkolarik

@MikeKovacik4928 wrote:

pkolarik

Thanks for your feed back

Holy cripes. I couldn't even imagine working in a company without at least a standard ctb for printing. That right there would make it nearly impossible to have drawings that all look the same across the company

I couldn't imagine any different, I have been in 11 drawing offices over a period of about 34 years, and have

never used a standard ctb for printing.

Dang, that's rough. I'd have to estimate that out of the dozens of firms we get .dwg files from, maybe 1 out of every 15 or 20 or so doesn't have an established ctb (or stb) file to plot with.

No buy in from any one above or even at drafter status

Probably the only "out" I can see for you is to create your *own* set of standards and use them on everything you do

That is exactly what I have started doing.

Not exactly ideal, however interaction with you guys on the forum, allows me to keep my sanity,

and talk to experienced cad people that have implemented good cad workflows and procedures,

something I don't seem to be able to experience here!!

Mike

Message 8 of 9
MikeKovacik4928

No problem.

I am now doing things at work and showing them to other drafters and I see a  "little spark of Interest".

I think there might be hope yet!

I have automated one type of drawing in inventor, linking spreadsheet to multiple ipt files and a master iam file.

Will reduce my drawing time for that particular type of drawing from 4 to 5 hours down to about 10 to 15 minutes.

I have automated block counting in autocad  2d layout plan views by putting hidden attributes into the blocks

putting blocks on top of each other if there are multiple levels and

then using Bcount to  count. This is reducing the manual "counting" time and making the quants checks obsolete

Also experimenting with eattext to excel file to automate a parts list, but getting some type of windows error. I will post this query separately at a later date

Mike

Message 9 of 9
RobDraw

@pkolarik wrote:

Holy cripes. I couldn't even imagine working in a company without at least a standard ctb for printing.

I just started at a company that has their .ctb set so that all colors plot "By Object" and all objects are set to plot "By Layer". It has a very Revit like feel to it.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report