Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cloud storage

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bf
Advocate
657 Views, 9 Replies

cloud storage

Does anyone use cloud storage as a backup for their CAD files?  We have too many servers, that are getting on in age and full, for a small company. 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jggerth1
in reply to: bf

Given the (miniscule) cost of a terabyte USB drive, that would seem to make much more sense for backup purposes than trying tup move tons of files across an internet connection.

I'll use internet services for sharing, but backup is just not an efficient use.

Message 3 of 10
pendean

Agreed with the above statement: pick up some cheap pletiful drives for about the same price as an annual subscription to a cloud storage serrvice and backup (and more importantly restore) instantly whether you have internet access or not.
Message 4 of 10
bf
Advocate

Thanks for the replies.  I have a couple of USB externals attached to my machine for storage of hi-def images and GIS stuff that only I use.  I only connect them when I need to access that info.  A couple of years ago I had an external with huge hi-def image data and it was decided to attach it to the network for everyone's access.  It died without warning, losing everything.  I don't suppose having it running all the time helped.  I am looking for server backup offsite.  Have read some interesting things about creating your own cloud storage.  Have checked out servers from Xi and Dell.

Also what is your practice when working on dwgs?  To work from the server or bring the dwg onto your hard drive and when finished, put back on server?

Message 5 of 10
jggerth1

If the data matters, use duplicate drives.  I've got an external USB dock that I can drop a couple of SATA drives in w/o problems.  And could hook up as eSata if the speed mattered,  for backup it doesn't so I just leave it USB since that's more convenient.  It's a Thermaltake dock, available from NewEgg. 

As far as working in drawings, they always stay on the server.   Open them from the server, and save them to the server.  I never copy down to the workstation.

Another option for a data backup strategy would be a NAS device with a multi-disk RAID system.   Plug it into a UPS and your network, set up a backup job on the server, and then just keep it running.

Message 6 of 10
pendean

Never rely on one drive: biggest rookie mistake a lot of people fall into.
In addition to your multi-drive server (RAID format so that if one driver fails the others still hold your data), also back up daily to two separate drives everytime, have a weekly backup to a third drive, and a bi-monthly backup to a 4th drive.

There are professional grade and freware software to handle this all for you.

I bet you where only going to consider one source/location for your online backup, weren't you? Thus repeating the "single point of failure" similar to the earlier loss. Big mistake there too, if you're going to commit to online backup you need to do it to two seaprate sites from two separate vendors and seriously upgrade your Internet connection to match that speed need.

FYI "you" and "your" as in your firm/company, this is not personal (I don't know you to get personal) 🙂
Message 7 of 10
bf
Advocate
in reply to: pendean

The server I am looking at has 2-2TB drives with RAID, and the backup I am looking at has pretty much the same config.  I want to put the backup offsite somewhere and back up only the dwgs that have changed, if that's possible.  I am not savvy on backup programs.  Our IT guy has it set up now for daily, weekly and monthly backups. Will do the same, but he doesn't want to veer from our present configuration much which is outdated and way overpriced from what I've seen and read.

Not taken personal.

Message 8 of 10
jggerth1

A RAID system that does any good needs a minimum of 3 drives.  Two drive RAIDS either stripe across both disks for perfomance - which means if either one goes bad you've lost everything, or mirrors A onto B -- which is inefficient in terms of both space and performance. 

If you need 2 TB for space, then get three 1 Tb drives - that gives you two terabytes for data and one for data redundancy.  better usage is to get four or five 1Tb drives and set up as striping w/ redundancy.  With a redundant raid, your available data storage volume is N-1 where N = the the number of matching drives.  Be paranoid, and buy an extra identical disk to keep on the shelf for repair.

Backing up across the internet is a slow process -- (unless you live in chatanooga and have 100Mb fiber to your office).  Not really recommended.  There's a reason tapes are still a good choice.

Incremental daily backups to a NAS are probaly the best bet; add some spare 2tb drives and a USB dock for weekly & monthly, and take them home on Mondays.  There may even be a local courier/storage place that will pick up & drop off weekly -- that's a pretty common service

Message 9 of 10
pendean

Agreed with the above: a two drive RAID is the worst option when it comes to the risk of one disk failing.
You might want to find another technology consultant/employee, you're getting bad advise locally which could hurt when you forget to fact check them on something as you are wisely doing here today.
Message 10 of 10
bf
Advocate

This is very good information for me to bring to my boss.  Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.  When one of two things happens, I will repost. 1- do nothing for too long and we crash and burn.  2- get a good backup system rolling.

Thanks again.

Bryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report