Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeriscape tips, got any?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
pendean
588 Views, 21 Replies

Xeriscape tips, got any?

I'm going to start the process of getting rid of all grasses at the front and back of the house: tilling the back yard this weened, front yard next weekend.

Anyone do this already and have any practical tips or DOs / DON'Ts I should be aware of? Not sure what I want to do yet, was going to landscape with potted plants in the back but the front yard eludes me. Will mulch over for now as I slowly plan it.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
millerew17
in reply to: pendean

Susanhunter1 is spot on for your area. You're in "Zone 10", whereas Tucson is Zone 12.
Visit your local Extension office and a few nurseries for plant advice.
From my personal experience, I can tell you a few things about ground cover.
1. Cedar Bark is nice, but it can dry out and blow around in the wind. A better choice for the NW.
2. Lava rock is OK, but if tree & shrub litter gets down in it, and you have to use a blower/vac it can be light enough to fly. (Windows and a nuisance)
3. 3/8"-1" crushed gravel is the norm in AZ and can be attractive if different colors are used.
4.My favorite is 1"-1 1/2" washed "River Rock". It stays put and is gorgeous after a rain.
http://www.delange.org/Xeriscape/Xeriscape.htm
Message 22 of 22
pendean
in reply to: millerew17

Zone 8 actually: I am leaning towards "River Rock" for the exact same reason. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report