Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeriscape tips, got any?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
pendean
584 Views, 21 Replies

Xeriscape tips, got any?

I'm going to start the process of getting rid of all grasses at the front and back of the house: tilling the back yard this weened, front yard next weekend.

Anyone do this already and have any practical tips or DOs / DON'Ts I should be aware of? Not sure what I want to do yet, was going to landscape with potted plants in the back but the front yard eludes me. Will mulch over for now as I slowly plan it.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
millerew17
in reply to: pendean

Susanhunter1 is spot on for your area. You're in "Zone 10", whereas Tucson is Zone 12.
Visit your local Extension office and a few nurseries for plant advice.
From my personal experience, I can tell you a few things about ground cover.
1. Cedar Bark is nice, but it can dry out and blow around in the wind. A better choice for the NW.
2. Lava rock is OK, but if tree & shrub litter gets down in it, and you have to use a blower/vac it can be light enough to fly. (Windows and a nuisance)
3. 3/8"-1" crushed gravel is the norm in AZ and can be attractive if different colors are used.
4.My favorite is 1"-1 1/2" washed "River Rock". It stays put and is gorgeous after a rain.
http://www.delange.org/Xeriscape/Xeriscape.htm
Message 22 of 22
pendean
in reply to: millerew17

Zone 8 actually: I am leaning towards "River Rock" for the exact same reason. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums