The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 1 of 46 (1,085 Views)

What's your favourite ACAD prank?

1085 Views, 45 Replies
01-23-2013 09:26 AM

Do you like to mess with your coworkers' minds?  What do you do?  Set MBUTTONPAN to 0?  I'll tell you my favourite later.  What's yours?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Distinguished Contributor
Light_Guy
Message 2 of 46 (1,074 Views)

Re: What's your favourite ACAD prank?

01-23-2013 10:08 AM in reply to: troma

Setting the ESC key to QUIT
Setting all colors to black

Zoomfactor to 300

for starters....

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 46 (1,071 Views)

01-23-2013 10:10 AM in reply to: troma

I haven't done this is a while. But...  I'd create some very large text covering most of the screen. What it said was basically random. Then I would create a slide, undo to the point where I created the text and then did a VSlide.

The person would come back and start trying to erase the text. Since it was large and very visible they wouldn't try to zoom in. After repeated attempts to erase the text they would come to me and ask form my help. After asking them how it got there and what they'd tried to get rid of it. I'd suggest they try a regen. The slide would disappear and their drawing would be as they left it.

Distinguished Contributor
Wanderer-MOTD
Message 4 of 46 (1,065 Views)

01-23-2013 10:17 AM in reply to: troma

Well, there aren't any fulltime CAD users around here, other than me, so I can't really prank.

But, one thing that just annoys my buddy to no end (bonus of my normal workflow)... is not having any toolbars, putting my command line on the top of the screen and having my windows task bar vertical instead of horizontal.

We've got a workstation in the office he can access programs with, but, it's usually simpler to just walk in and use my machine, since it's already on.

Melanie Perry
***not all those who wander are lost***
http://AUGI.com/Surveys
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

My defunct profiles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/651859
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/644095
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 5 of 46 (1,057 Views)

01-23-2013 11:27 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I knew I'd learn something on this thread!  I've never heard of slides before, interesting function, nicely abused :smileywink:

Reminds me of the windows trick: take a screenshot of someone's desktop and set that as the background for the desktop.  Then hide (or switch off?) the shortcuts on the desktop.  But of course it looks like they're still there because of the picture.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 6 of 46 (1,052 Views)

01-23-2013 11:33 AM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD

Yes, a fellow keyboarder!  Although with C3D you can't avoid clicking buttons.  But I do get a laugh every time we upgrade and someone asks me "where did they put the explode command?  (or line, or move etc)" and I say "look, there it is, it never changes!"

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 7 of 46 (1,049 Views)

01-23-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: troma

A script using VSlide and a Delay was how we did animation in antediluvian times. In Softdesk/LDD you had a routine that would "Drive" along a polyline and create a slide at specific intervals. You'd then use the script to play them back as an animation.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 8 of 46 (1,045 Views)

01-23-2013 11:42 AM in reply to: troma

troma wrote:

Although with C3D you can't avoid clicking buttons.

Well... You can. But I'll admit that the contextual ribbon is convenient. However if I want to draw a featureline I use my alias - DF.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 9 of 46 (1,031 Views)

01-23-2013 12:35 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

Yeah, I have a few aliases set up

FF, *EDITSURFACESWAPEDGE

PP, *ADDNETWORKPARTSTOPROF

POP, *PROJECTOBJECTSTOPROF

But I could do with more.  Never figured out why I can't hit enter to repeat the create surface command, even if I've typed it on the keyboard.

Back on topic:

set ZOOMWHEEL  to 1 is a nice way to confuse someone

but my favourite so far is to mess with the MTJIGSTRING sysvar.  Go to Bob's machine and set MTJIGSTRING to "Hi Bob!"  That got a few good reactions.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 10 of 46 (1,026 Views)

01-23-2013 12:57 PM in reply to: troma

MTJIGSTRING - That reminds me of a lisp I wrote back in R12. It was to change sheets in the single Paperspace Layout in that release. But the real point is that I had one user then who I new would enter the wrong page designation quite often. So I included an error message that was triggered whenever the designation that was entered was invalid. It said "Lida. Spell it correctly!".

I also used MODEMACRO to greet the 2 other people who were working on that project - "Hello Joe and Lida".

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community