Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your favourite ACAD prank?

70 REPLIES 70
Message 1 of 71
troma
3670 Views, 70 Replies

What's your favourite ACAD prank?

Do you like to mess with your coworkers' minds?  What do you do?  Set MBUTTONPAN to 0?  I'll tell you my favourite later.  What's yours?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

70 REPLIES 70
Message 61 of 71
KLYPHY
in reply to: KLYPHY

I should have mentioned that this joke No. 1 was from:

From AutoCAD Message Board: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06 - 18:54(GMT) in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs”

Message 62 of 71
CADiva
in reply to: Murph_Map

Ah, the good ol' Kaypro II ... I remember how great it was to be able to two discs in: the one for software and the one with the file I was working on.  Fun times ... 🙂

Message 63 of 71
KLYPHY
in reply to: troma

You all must be being productive and not having time to list your favorite AutoCAD Pranks.

So, I'll step in. Here are Nos. 3 & 4:

03 -Zoom in really tight on a blank drawing area, set snap to 100. (similar to 02)

From AutoCAD Message Board: C O Jones: Jul/20/06-19:06(GMT) in “in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs” by: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06-18:54(GMT)

04 -Copy a piece of text, “.” a long long way from the model. Zoom extents.

From AutoCAD Message Board: C O Jones: Jul/20/06-19:06(GMT) in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs” by: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06-18:54(GMT)

Message 64 of 71
troma

@KLYPHY wrote:

You all must be being productive and not having time to list your favorite AutoCAD Pranks.

I'm all out! I put mine in earlier.  Good to see there's some life left in this old thread I started over a year and a half ago. Keep them coming, it's good reading! Smiley Happy

Mark Green

Message 65 of 71
KLYPHY

Thank  you to troma for starting this string.

Here's the 5th Joke from my file:

05 -ucs rotate, then ucsicon off.

From AutoCAD Message Board: C O Jones: Jul/20/06-19:06(GMT) in “in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs” by: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06-18:54(GMT)

I no longer know if #6 works, so, I'm no including it.

Here's No. 7;

07 -xclip the xrefs:

I would xclip down to a very small empty area. Also, set XCLIPFRAME to “0”.   They can see the xref in the XREF list, but not on the screen.

From AutoCAD Message Board: C O Jones: Jul/20/06-19:06(GMT) in “in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs” by: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06-18:54(GMT) with additional instructions by Me.

Message 66 of 71
troma

#7, now that's dirty!

Mark Green

Message 67 of 71
KLYPHY

Of the 43 Pranks I've accumulated, some no longer work. No. 8 is one of those.

No. 9 is too simple, but still, may cause momentary confusion.

No. 9: -qtext, regenall

No. 10 is similar to No. 25, so I am posting them together:

-Make the whole drawing a block with 0,0,0 as the base; then MINSERT it at 0,0,0.

Once MINSERTED, the Block in now Unexplodable, and thus, hard to edit.

The Secret is, if you type “Block,” the Block Display will come up.

You can choose the block that is unexplodable and check the box that says “Allow Exploding.”

From Me & from AutoCAD Message Board: C O Jones: Jul/20/06-19:06(GMT) in “in “Fun Trick to Play on the New CAD Techs” by: Josh Nieman: Jul/20/06-18:54(GMT)

Message 68 of 71
Joe-Bouza

Taping a Triangle and T-square to their monitor.

More of a message then a prank

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 69 of 71

~snort~

I'm sometime tempted to replace a users computer with a couple of rocks to bang together.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 70 of 71

Oh ...this thread has just reminded me of the good ole days of working on Unix.

OMG the stunts we were able to pull on that operating system. Made working 2nd shift a pleasure.

From basic things like sending a sound file at full volume to a co-worker that you noticed was drifting off to sleep to turning the display 180 degrees and watching your co-worker work for a few seconds until he realized it or doing some odd ball thing to a co-worker right as the boss is standing near him and see him try to explain that he wasn't doing it....LOL

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 71 of 71

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
~snort~

I'm sometime tempted to replace a users computer with a couple of rocks to bang together.

I've known a few people that would fit that description.

I just thought of another little prank -- put the following in their acaddoc.lsp file (so that it loads everytime they open a dwg file):

(setvar "snapunit" (list 50000 50000))

(setvar "snapmode" 1)

(princ)

Whenever they start acad, it will change the snap units to 50000 and turn on SNAP -- the princ will disguise the fact that you've done anything.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report