Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We all complain about AutoCAD screen real estate...

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
pendean
1838 Views, 33 Replies

We all complain about AutoCAD screen real estate...

.. but who is so crazy for it they run AutoCAD in CLEANSCREEN all the time (or a good portion of the time)?

And if you are not brave enough to do so:

1. what do you do to pick up more real estate?
  2. what size monitor do you use?
  3.  Do you dare to post a screenshot of your full screen?

I'm on a 25" screen and other than toggling my ribbon to "minimize to panel buttons" I do nothing else.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

1. Actually never complained about it even in the 14" CRT from way back. Is that not what Zoom is for?

Ever since the monitors got bigger (20" CRT) then Flatpanel (30") to the current 24-32-24 it has only gotten better.

2. 24" Asus VE248/1920x1080 - 32" Sharp Aquos LC-32D59U/1366 x 768 - 24" Asus VE248/1920x1080

3. The work space:

DSCN3579.JPG

Message 3 of 34

I think I have screenus envy...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 34
pendean
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

me too 🙂
Message 5 of 34
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I've got a good portion of your setup: dual 24" Asus VE248/1920x1080, just missing the centerpiece.

With the dual monitors and all of the undockable AutoCAD/Revit components moved to the secondary monitor, never had a shortage of drawing space, and never used CLEANSCREEN for more than a minute. That's jus' plain crazy. Maybe that should be an AU challenge for the prize of new monitors or something!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 34
Charles_Shade
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I'll admit that the third is a bit superfluous but it is nice to throw up an Excel worksheet or website or job site pictures that pertain to the drawing and not have to tab back and forth when working.

Message 7 of 34

I use 2 screens at work -- AutoCAD and/or Revit straight ahead, and Navisworks, Outlook, Access, Excel etc to the left.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 8 of 34

Piffle... stoopid work firewalls prevent me from uploading to this site.

But, I do 2 monitors. AutoCAD and Revit on the right (20"), with a vertical menubar, so I can see to flip between similarly named files without problem.
Left monitor (17") holds my email, windows explorer, browser, other programs... plus my properties palette, SSM and layer dialog (yes, I can keep it open all the time now!).

My favorite IT guy said that he'll scrounge me up a pair of 22"s somewhere, because he can't believe I'm using monitors so old. lol. (I get a pc refresh every 2 years, but, they did not include new monitors because my 20" is a special order (I scrounged the 17" from our programmer right before he retired).

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 9 of 34
rkmcswain

1. See screenshot.
2. ASUS 27" & ASUS 24".
3. See attached.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 10 of 34
troma

1. Move the ribbon, pallets & toolbars to second screen.
  2. I don't know.  How do I measure?  (Is it a diagonal thing?)  But I do know they are both the same.  I had it otherwise for a little while, but it is a pain.
  3. :

Screen setup.PNG

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 34

Looks like I'll be skipped in the next round of PC upgrades for the hospital.

😄 No real skin off my nose. Their current upgrade consists of removing existing Windows XP workstations and laptops and monitors and replacing them all with one docked laptop with Windows 7 and a single 22" monitor (2nd monitors being expressly forbidden, but, we can issue special requests with a business case to get a second one).

My hard drive just failed in my workstation, a couple months before this scheduled refresh. Once IT realized what a weirdo I am, they decided to just upgrade my existing workstation when they replaced the hard drive. They didn't touch my monitors at all, and they didn't abscond with my laptop.

Unfortunately, they removed my Admin rights and my request for reinstatement is taking a laborious journey, so the IT guy has become my new best friend. Heh, poor fella.

At any rate... I'm still waiting to have my ancient 17" replaced with that 22", this is just sad. All of the new PCs have nicer monitors than this one.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 12 of 34

SQUEE!

My boy in IT finally came through. He's sending some lackeys over right now with two brand spanking new 22" monitors (to replace my 5yo 20" and my 11yo 17").

Oh, and I think my request for reinstatement of my admin rights has finally gone through the official channels and been granted... hopefully the change will show up soon.

Melanie Stone
Message 13 of 34

~SWOONS~ Turns out they were 24"!!!

With USB ports on the side... ~swoon~
I've finally joined this century. 😄

My boss came over and told me I'm special (not that he doesn't tell me that on a regular basis anyway).

Melanie Stone
Message 14 of 34

I hope your 'boy' and his 'lackeys' don't read your posts; you may not get such helpful service next time! 😉

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 34

Hehe. I am actually friends with the responsible supervisor type who assigned me the monitors... the lackeys are contractors, so they can't read my internet history and find this the way one of our real IT guys could. 😉

Melanie Stone
Message 16 of 34

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
~SWOONS~ Turns out they were 24"!!!

With USB ports on the side... ~swoon~
I've finally joined this century. 😄

My boss came over and told me I'm special (not that he doesn't tell me that on a regular basis anyway).

I'd swoon too ... granted, I've have side USB ports on my monitors for 6 years, but the 24" would be nice.

~files that idea for her next computer~

~sighs as she realizes the $ for a new car will probably go to a new computer instead~

Message 17 of 34
Light_Guy

Glad to see Wanderer joining the current century! Congrats!!
I run two HP Z workstations, each with dual 24" monitors. I usually move all the pertinent side bars to the other monitor. I will run AutoCAD on two and then Inventor on one of the others, leaving the fourth for email and other programs usually. I will also minimize the ribbon on occasion if I need to see the "big picture" but rarely, if ever, use clean screen. Like Wanderer, firewall keeps me from uploading to this site or I would post a pic. Love the 24-32-24 set up though. I found myself hooking up my laptop to my 65" TV at home to run Inventor for a home project. I could live that at work for sure!!

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 18 of 34
doni49
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

I think I have screenus envy...

Me too. 

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 19 of 34

I'm slightly envious right now.

I've got two monitors, but, I think they're about 17" or maybe 19" at a stretch (I don't have a ruler or tape measure here, this is weird).

BUT, I just started working here, and I want to get in good with the IT guys before I start making requests for monitors as big as some of my coworkers have.

Melanie Stone
Message 20 of 34

At the last company I worked for, we were all forced to have 2 screens, but not here, even begging doesn't work.

Anyway I like real estate, I do have toggles in my toolpalettes for the menubar and commandline but they aren't on much. 22" monitor which is resonable

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report