Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User level, i.e. Distinguished Contributor.....

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
tony.ridley
1264 Views, 20 Replies

User level, i.e. Distinguished Contributor.....

Hi all,

I think there needs to be a better way of determining who becomes recognised as distinguished contributor (as an example), as opposed to just a regular poster.  A lot of people on the forum I frequent just ask inane questions all day, about things that are not even specific to the software, yet they have levelled up to become distinguished etc. 

Any way to regulate this a bit better?

Tony

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Charles_Shade
in reply to: tony.ridley

Feeling left out? Smiley Wink

That is the question that has been asked and pondered since the formation of the rankings.

There is no real answer except to keep plugging away and don't let the turkeys get you down.

The metrics that are used have been constantly updated and flexed but as with all systems of rank there is nuance and depth that will get lost because all the content cannot be weighted as it should be.

You seem to be prolific; nearly a post a day; it is only a matter of time my friend.

And I will highlite Melanie Perry (Wanderer-MOTD) for a moment as an example to the good. (Though I do not know her personally, only thru the Forum and AUGI.) She has been a long time contributor to the AUGI Forums and a Blogger for AutoCAD. Her dedication to those entities has earned her the title even though her post count here is not on par with other DC's within this Forum. I suspect that you can find this throughout the System and is Autodesk's attempt to highlite longtime contributors from other areas than its in-house Forum.

Message 3 of 21
Murph_Map
in reply to: Charles_Shade

@Charles_Shade wrote:

And I will highlite Melanie Perry (@Mistress0fTheDorkness) for a moment as an example to the good. (Though I do not know her personally, only thru the Forum and AUGI.) She has been a long time contributor to the AUGI Forums and a Blogger for AutoCAD. Her dedication to those entities has earned her the title even though her post count here is not on par with other DC's within this Forum.

Naming her son Alpha and Beta helps too. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 21
pendean

Except for the boys and girls in blue, the 'expert elites', the current rankings is based solely on volume of postings and nothing else.
It's meant to be an easy way to tag frequent users, nothing more, nothing less: there is no implied expertise or abilities, just frequency of attendance.

The folks in blue are more actively connected as a group and we all tap each other to bring experience and knowledge to help a user posting here. We are networked together and talk frequently, share ideas, share solutions, and seek help between us.
Message 5 of 21
tony.ridley
in reply to: pendean

All good guys, wasn't feeling hard done by.  

I'm not actually striving for a level up, more questioning how some posters get to be "distinguised contributors" etc by constant spamming of forums.  

Thanks for the responses anyway.  

Tony

Message 6 of 21
TBasich

You're not alone in your questioning of the rank structure. It needs some work, and I'm hoping we're able to tackle it soon. I doubt it will ever take into account outside contributions like those to AUGI and the blogging community, but just keep highlighting the great work you see from your peers and your community will know. 🙂

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 21
troma

Don't be afraid to use the "Report Inappropriate Content" button. It doesn't have to be 'females available over the phone' spam to be inappropriate. If the content of a post doesn't belong in that forum, press the button and advise the moderator where it should be moved to.

On a side note, posts here don't count. They won't add to your post count at all. And BTW Dean I'm surprised you say that post count is the only thing. Don't Solutions Authored and Kudos Received help you move up the ranks from 'Contributor' to 'Mentor' etc.?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: troma

I believe with the current setup, sheer post count can get you up to the Mentor (or Distinguished Mentor) rank, but in order to get past that, you need a plentiful amount of Kudos and Solutions.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 21
pendean
in reply to: troma

Post counts is the system in place now: you are thinking of the expanded user info page, which no one readily sees (or is interested in looking up usually), or whatever got you the blue label 🙂
Message 10 of 21
troma

@pendean wrote:
Post counts is the system in place now...

Well that directly contradicts what was said back here.

@pendean wrote:
...or whatever got you the blue label

Still trying to figure that out myself Smiley Surprised  Smiley LOL

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 21
Charles_Shade

I thought it was my snappy wit and general good humour that turned me blue. Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 21

Okay, you do know that those aren't my son's real names, right? lol.

Charles, that's interesting? I would think they just felt sorry for my hundreds of abandoned NNTP posts. 😉

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 13 of 21

But I did not know you then and write from a place of misinformation.

Foot in hand so to speak from time to time.

Message 14 of 21
hwalker

Not too sure if the post count thing applies.

Before I was an EE. I was a Distinguished Mentor, and I've only got 754 posts since 2004

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 15 of 21
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hwalker

Message 16 of 21
hwalker

That's what the doctor tells me

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 17 of 21

My doctor's too nice to say that... however, my boss says it all the time. 😉

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 18 of 21
cbenner

@pendean wrote:
The folks in blue are more actively connected as a group and we all tap each other to bring experience and knowledge to help a user posting here. We are networked together and talk frequently, share ideas, share solutions, and seek help between us.

'cause we all need lots of help!!  Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 21
timdown73
in reply to: cbenner

I was so hoping that getting an idea "implemented" (1 of only 9 last I looked) via the Idea station would bump me up, but alas it was not to be.Smiley Sad  I don't even know if an "Implemented" idea is worth anything.   I think I also have a few as "accepted", that should be worth something as well, I hope.  Not trying to sound whiney here...just wondering.

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 20 of 21
Charles_Shade
in reply to: timdown73

Currently you are kind of stuck with post count. Though many have asked for a more merit based as opposed to a numbers based system.

Maybe sometime soon there will be more wieght to contributions ouside of the total post count.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report