Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Training - Autocad Architecture or Revit?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
FMichailidis
1120 Views, 4 Replies

Upgrade Training - Autocad Architecture or Revit?

Hello all. Although I have been an Autocad user since release 10, I have not been using Autocad for drafting since 2005. I have played around with some of the later releases but have never had to rely on the software's capabilities to do my job. Now I have been faced with the reality of being unemployed and starting my own business as a design build consultant in the residential industry and have contemplated upgrading my skills. The question is which direction I should go in. I can't see myself needing to do anything more than residential and small scale commercial projects where I would need to present to my perspective clients my designs and then obtain building permits from the local authorities. Having looked at the newer versions of software and played a little with 2013 I am wondering. Should I get some online advanced training on Autocad Architcture or should I go straight into Revit? At the present I am quite comfortable using Autocad as a 2D tool to produce drawings but feel I need more than that to get a competitve edge.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to recieving your replies.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I looked at Revit and knew that the learning curve for me being an old dog would be too steep.

I also know that the young whipper snappers coming into the architectural field will likely know nothing else.

Revit is a huge program for residential use and except for the occasional request (maybe one per year) to see the home in 3D I could not justify the expense.

I've not used Architecture but believe that may be the better choice in terms of getting into 3D and design beyond LT's capabilities.

I have been using LT since it was created over 15 years ago for residential design and have not suffered work because of this. Plenty to do work wise and as this conversation has gone on other occasions we still build everything from flat 2D plans.

Message 3 of 5
FMichailidis
in reply to: FMichailidis

Thanks Charles.

I suspected as much myself. I thought its time for me to move onto the next platform and I saw Architecture as the next logical step but was a little intrigued and overwhelmed by Revit. I also considered something like 20/20 for quick presentations but my Autocad legacy is making me stay with Autodesk for its versatility and power. I will post my experience with my training on this msg board. Even though I should probably switch over to another board for this next question I will ask, any suggestions for on-line course training?

Message 4 of 5

A place to start:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14238659

There are likely some better or worse online training sites available.

I would suggest you research a few and post them here.

Others will chime in with opinions on who is good and who is not.

Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: FMichailidis

REVIT is great if you plan on working with others that use REVIT, and you both are willing to invest the time to 'force' even the contractors to use it as well.
Is that your target audience, REVIT users? Same with your customers, do they demand BIM to track every component in their structure? Same with your builder/contractors, are they BIM committed?

That will answer your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report