Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This will make some of you feel Old.

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
CelticDesignServices
1205 Views, 48 Replies

This will make some of you feel Old.

This Sunday, March 24th Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon was released 40 years ago.

Yes, that's 4-0, 1973 to be exact.

How many of us recall when that album came out?

Can you believe it was 40 freakin years ago?!

Ya think anyone will still be listening to Bieber, Lil Wayne, or any of these other talentless hacks that pass as music today some 40 odd years from now?

D@mn, I am old.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
48 REPLIES 48
Message 41 of 49

OLD!!      Why let me tell you a story about when I was a boy....dozes off...........................................WHAT DID YOU SAY!

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 42 of 49

LOL...Why does the John Herbert character from Family Guy come to mind?

Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 43 of 49

Did anyone see the Monsters of Rock tour back in the late 80s?  Kingdom Come, Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions and Van Halen.  Excellent concert...Scorpions stole the show in my opinion.

Message 44 of 49

I saw the Scorps soon after their Animal Magnetism album came out....which by the way had a cover design done by Storm Thorgerson, the same guy who designed DSOTM and numerous other Pink Floyd album covers.

Anyways, the Scorps were the opening band for someone for whom I can't recall now.

I also saw Van Halen in the early 80's as well....might have been for their 1984 album, problem was, they sucked balls!

I was never a big fan of Van Halen but I loved Eddie's playing. It was DLR that killed the show. He was terrible and a complete a-hole during the show. It really turned me off of them.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 45 of 49

What makes me feel old is remembering hearing all of the popular tunes in the 60s when they first charted, or hearing the local deejay describing Riders on the Storm as the Doors' "comeback effort" (same thing with some Bee Gees stuff pre-SNF). Or even Elvis' "comeback" effort before he died, plus the stuff that was released soon after. Or someone in my art class in school, announcing the death of Janis Joplin. Gawd I was so young....

Being Canajan (eh?) we thought the Guess Who were rock gods, but of course BTO as well, and April Wine I think defined for Canadians what an arena band should be -- everything from hard rocking numbers to ballads. Did you know that Randy Bachman was a big part of the Guess Who through their early breakthrough successes, but decided on his own to leave and start up BTO? BTO was Brave Belt before Turner came along and added his more hard driving edge to their sound. Randy and Burton still tour from time to time together...

I too have seen J Geils, and the Bee Gees, Tom Petty (twice), 38 Special (twice), the Who, the Police and many others. The best so far was in 2008 an outdoor concert at Magnetic Hill in Moncton, NB (Canada) -- got there in time for John Fogarty (who was incredible, and did every CCR tune but no solo stuff) and the headliners -- The Eagles, who have amazing harmonies even to this day! There was even solo stuff from Henley and Walsh, but sadly none from Frey.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 46 of 49
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Oh and here's something I never knew until recently. House of the Rising Sun? The Animals? That was originally a swing tune from the 40s 9and may even be older than that but I am not sure)!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 47 of 49
Light_Guy

A young Andy Griffith (of Mayberry fame) covered it before the Animals did actually.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 48 of 49
troma

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

Oh and here's something I never knew until recently. House of the Rising Sun? The Animals? That was originally a swing tune from the 40s 9and may even be older than that but I am not sure)!

I thought it was Bob Dylan.  But maybe he got it from somewhere else too.  I know he sings it "...many a poor girl..." instead of boy, weird.

As for Randy Bachman, I got my introduction to him on CBC radio when I came to Canada a few years back.  Ever listen to 'The Vinyl Tap'?  Then I got tired intrigued by all his name-dropping and I had to look him up on Wikipedia.  I think he sounds much younger than he is!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 49 of 49
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: troma

Nope never heard of The Vinyl Tap. Sadly, I haven't heard much of the Tragically Hip either. It's mostly due to me being a Florida resident since 1982.

I have seen where they tour as Bachman Cummings, and as a form of the Guess Who. I remember when the band was singing Shakin' All Over. Or who remembers The Sound of a Dropping Pin?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report