The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

Active Contributor
donald.e.clark
Message 1 of 11 (336 Views)

Sustainable design discussion group

336 Views, 10 Replies
10-02-2013 01:10 PM

Is there a sustainable design discussion group somewhere on this Autodesk forums site?

If not, how many of you think there should be?

I, personally, have very few opportunities to discussion sustainability in my local community and even fewer opportunities to use sustainable design.  Given that several global issues seem to be intertwined, and sustainable practices have been proposed to be "multibenefit" solutions, I think there ought to be something I can do to make the world a better place.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 11 (333 Views)

Re: Sustainable design discussion group

10-02-2013 01:31 PM in reply to: donald.e.clark
Why? These forums are mostly about Autodesk software, not how they are used to achieve objectives.

There are better sites for such topics IMHO.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
donald.e.clark
Message 3 of 11 (330 Views)

10-02-2013 01:50 PM in reply to: pendean

My logic is that Autodesk has information about Sustainable Design (and Product Lifecycle Management) on their website and a non-technical discussion group does exist on this forums site.  I will give that suggestion a try and go from there.  Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 4 of 11 (324 Views)

10-02-2013 02:19 PM in reply to: donald.e.clark

The issue can get *very* political.  I'd prefer that such discussions were kept off-site, except where they directly relate to AutoDesk products.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 11 (306 Views)

10-03-2013 04:58 AM in reply to: donald.e.clark

Any company in this day and age that has a web presence "must" have something with the words "sustainable" or "green" in their online efforts.

BIM is a "green" method by which to understand and make use of the lifecycle and long term viability of a building or system.

It is not however a way to mechanically draw the building or system. These things are still the same as if you were using paper, pencil, and a T-square. Continuing education and knowledge of your product is still the responsibility of the pencil pusher.

The Autodesk website is the place where you come to learn and expand on your use of the software: not what to put on the paper, just a better way to do it.

The same logic could be used to expand say the Drawing Techniques Forum into an online classroom.

What discipline should Autodesk stop at?: Architecture?, Structural?, Robotics?, Factory?, Plant?, CGI?, etc... 

There is a world of dedicated websites to this pursuit that have experts from all over rather that just those that use Autodesk software. Why limit yourself? Explore those.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Active Contributor
donald.e.clark
Message 6 of 11 (298 Views)

Sustainable design discussion sites

10-03-2013 08:00 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Good things to know.  Nevertheless, what websites have discussion forums about topics such as sustainable infrastructure and/or green product design?  Many people or organizations related to those topics, that I have contacted or tried to contact, have seemed unavailable or inaccessible.

I appreciate all the advice.

Tangent:  I have noticed that several nonprofit organizations have very similar goals (and even similar methods), however, it seems they do not know about each other.  From what I understand, collaboration would have a "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" effect.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 11 (291 Views)

Re: Sustainable design discussion sites

10-03-2013 09:25 AM in reply to: donald.e.clark
Autodesk is a software company.
These forums are software support forums.

While I appreciate the sentiment you have, assuming only one software company should host such a lofty forum within their software forums is not helpful for the cause. What about the other CAD software giants? What about Microsoft? Apple? Citrix? Symantec? and everyone else? Do they host their own? Should they really contribute on a site dedicated to Autodesk software?

Your goal is lofty: but this discussion/forum website is the absolute wrong location for what you seek. Have you thought of starting your own site/forum and hosting everyone on your own?
Active Contributor
donald.e.clark
Message 8 of 11 (287 Views)

Talking about other websites

10-03-2013 10:12 AM in reply to: pendean

We are past that already.  ADR.  In my post prior to this one, I was asking about non-Autodesk websites (nor websites associated with any other company) that would have forums about those topics.

The Break Room is for non-technical discussions, so I am doing just that.

The questions in my original post were not rhetorical, they were actual questions.  I apologize for any confusion.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 11 (279 Views)

Re: Talking about other websites

10-03-2013 10:38 AM in reply to: donald.e.clark
OK, I think I see that now. I think :smileyhappy:

AFAIK there is no one site for the topic: it's fragmented. So how about my last question from my previous post? Your goal and the available vacuum seem to be a match ready for someone to step in and own the space.
Active Contributor
donald.e.clark
Message 10 of 11 (272 Views)

Re: Talking about other websites

10-03-2013 12:02 PM in reply to: pendean

Maybe a youtube channel is the way to go.  Or both.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community