Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sustainable design discussion group

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
donald.e.clark
568 Views, 10 Replies

Sustainable design discussion group

Is there a sustainable design discussion group somewhere on this Autodesk forums site?

If not, how many of you think there should be?

I, personally, have very few opportunities to discussion sustainability in my local community and even fewer opportunities to use sustainable design.  Given that several global issues seem to be intertwined, and sustainable practices have been proposed to be "multibenefit" solutions, I think there ought to be something I can do to make the world a better place.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: donald.e.clark

Why? These forums are mostly about Autodesk software, not how they are used to achieve objectives.

There are better sites for such topics IMHO.
Message 3 of 11
donald.e.clark
in reply to: pendean

My logic is that Autodesk has information about Sustainable Design (and Product Lifecycle Management) on their website and a non-technical discussion group does exist on this forums site.  I will give that suggestion a try and go from there.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
dgorsman

The issue can get *very* political.  I'd prefer that such discussions were kept off-site, except where they directly relate to AutoDesk products.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 11

Any company in this day and age that has a web presence "must" have something with the words "sustainable" or "green" in their online efforts.

BIM is a "green" method by which to understand and make use of the lifecycle and long term viability of a building or system.

It is not however a way to mechanically draw the building or system. These things are still the same as if you were using paper, pencil, and a T-square. Continuing education and knowledge of your product is still the responsibility of the pencil pusher.

The Autodesk website is the place where you come to learn and expand on your use of the software: not what to put on the paper, just a better way to do it.

The same logic could be used to expand say the Drawing Techniques Forum into an online classroom.

What discipline should Autodesk stop at?: Architecture?, Structural?, Robotics?, Factory?, Plant?, CGI?, etc... 

There is a world of dedicated websites to this pursuit that have experts from all over rather that just those that use Autodesk software. Why limit yourself? Explore those.

Message 6 of 11

Good things to know.  Nevertheless, what websites have discussion forums about topics such as sustainable infrastructure and/or green product design?  Many people or organizations related to those topics, that I have contacted or tried to contact, have seemed unavailable or inaccessible.

I appreciate all the advice.

Tangent:  I have noticed that several nonprofit organizations have very similar goals (and even similar methods), however, it seems they do not know about each other.  From what I understand, collaboration would have a "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" effect.

Message 7 of 11
pendean

Autodesk is a software company.
These forums are software support forums.

While I appreciate the sentiment you have, assuming only one software company should host such a lofty forum within their software forums is not helpful for the cause. What about the other CAD software giants? What about Microsoft? Apple? Citrix? Symantec? and everyone else? Do they host their own? Should they really contribute on a site dedicated to Autodesk software?

Your goal is lofty: but this discussion/forum website is the absolute wrong location for what you seek. Have you thought of starting your own site/forum and hosting everyone on your own?
Message 8 of 11
donald.e.clark

We are past that already.  ADR.  In my post prior to this one, I was asking about non-Autodesk websites (nor websites associated with any other company) that would have forums about those topics.

The Break Room is for non-technical discussions, so I am doing just that.

The questions in my original post were not rhetorical, they were actual questions.  I apologize for any confusion.

Message 9 of 11
pendean

OK, I think I see that now. I think 🙂

AFAIK there is no one site for the topic: it's fragmented. So how about my last question from my previous post? Your goal and the available vacuum seem to be a match ready for someone to step in and own the space.
Message 10 of 11
donald.e.clark

Maybe a youtube channel is the way to go.  Or both.

Message 11 of 11

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report