Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice please

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AlexJones14
594 Views, 6 Replies

Need advice please

Hello all,

Unfortunately I posted this question first time on a wrong area. I hope this is the correct place now.

I need some advice for my future career please.

Here is my story ,I am a 37 years old guy with high school diploma and I had taught myself Autocrat back in 1994(Rel 13). But never worked in that field and never touched it since then. I taught myself Corel Draw- Adobe photoshop-Illustrator- inDesign and 2 embroidery digitizing software
Unfortunately I can't afford to go to college or technical school.
I started  learning Solidworks and solidworks Composer couple of months ago and I am about to start refreshing my memories on AutoCad as well.
I am reading  some mechanical drawing and blue print reading and mathematics for engineering books as well.
  I am doing graphic design and embroidery digitizing for living. I am looking for a career change to make more money and I would like to hear your advices and  ideas and suggestions please.
Also I have 3 questions .
Question 1- Will I have any shot in getting a good paying job by learning SolidWorks and AutoCad ,since I don't have any college education?
I make about $15 an hour now.
Question 2- What is the pay rate for beginner  and  does it help the pay rate if I get certified ?
Question 3 -The companies that are hiring need at least couple of years of experience, Where do you think would be the best to start to build that experience needed?

I greatly appreciated your help

Thank you
Alex Jones
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: AlexJones14

1. Yes, although AutoCAD is not a specialized skill as much as newer software like Inventor (translate: better pay).
2. Pay scales vary by region and city and industry.
3. Find a job at a small company and earn while you learn.
Message 3 of 7
AlexJones14
in reply to: pendean

Thank you very much Pendean for your advice.
Message 4 of 7

My first job in the industry required 5 years of experience... but, I knew the guy I'd be working most closely with and he got me past HR in for an interview with his boss.
So... networking, networking, networking. Prove that you'd fit in with the workgroup and they'll let you gain some experience on the job.

As for starting pay... the first two years are much lower in pay, the next two years climb up a bit... pay doesn't jump up more until you get about 5 years in.

Lack of a degree will hurt you up front $, but, by 10 years in, you'll have caught up with your peers who have a degree.

Hmm, here's an article I wrote on asking for a raise... there should be some decent resources in here...

http://www.augi.com/library/poll-what-data-have-you-gathered-for-your-end-of-year-review

Wait, here we go... a list of resources to get an idea of fair pay...
http://www.augi.com/library/the-salary-survey-is-coming
(if you need to log in for the above, you could always see my private blog listing the same resources, whatever, if you're not an AUGI member already, you should be... http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/2011/09/2011-augi-salary-survey-additional.html )

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 5 of 7

Oh, just in case you like CADD Manager, Mark Kiker, AUGI also has some podcasts available where I sort of interviewed him about tips for finding a design job.

http://www.augi.com/publications/audio-video-content

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 1

In the first talk of this six-part series, Mark Kiker and Melanie Perry discuss where to look for job postings (and the importance of following basic site guidelines).

View/download survey results (MP3)

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 2

Second in the series, Mark and Melanie talk about the process of the AUGI Annual Salary Survey and how to use information from many sources to get the best overall picture of your overall value.

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 3

The third part of the series is where Kiker and Perry discuss networking.The benefits, and the importance of giving and receiving.

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 4

The fourth installment reveals Melanie Perry and Mark Kiker's discussion on best practices for resumes and cover letters.

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 5

The fifth talk with CADDManager Mark Kiker and author Melanie Perry covers interviewing skills. There are tips for finding out whether or not you really are a good fit for the job you're interviewing for.

2010 - Finding a Design Job - Part 6

Melanie and Mark finish up their series on Finding a Design Job by talking about increasing your visibility and marketability. They cover presentation skills, public speaking, and what your internet presence says about your 'personal brand'.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 6 of 7

Thank you very much Wanderer-MOTD,

I really appreciated your time and info you provided ,I will definitely check them out.

Alex

Message 7 of 7

Anytime! Hope it helps.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report