The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

Distinguished Contributor
CADiva
Message 11 of 15 (280 Views)

Re: Meatloaf recipes

05-03-2013 08:51 AM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD

Wanderer-MOTD wrote:
There's a recipe here: http://st-louis-pizza.com/provel-cheese.php as well as some suggested uses:

"""you can try this basic formula: 2 cups shredded provolone, 1 cup shredded swiss, 1 cup shredded white cheddar. Mix it well, and add two or three drops of liquid smoke"""

Excellent - thanks!  I don't have liquid smoke, but I'm guessing I can find that if I just go looking for it.

CADiva
Message 12 of 15 (205 Views)

09-18-2013 06:19 PM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD

Finally got to try the OP recipe this week - my parents make great guinea pigs!

I didn't have a loaf pan, so we made large meatballs instead:

Meatballs

1/2 a meatball ended up being just right.  We ate it with a side of baked zucchini:

Zucchini

Nom, nom!

CADiva
Message 13 of 15 (196 Views)

09-18-2013 07:10 PM in reply to: CADiva

So, can I tell you the adventure of making this meatloaf?  If you don't want to hear it, you can stop reading now ....

Spoiler
So it all started with my mom making some off-hand comment about my bringing or thinking of food I'd like for our week in Steamboat Springs.  I went through my recipe prints for things I've been wanting to try but haven't for one reason or another and one was this recipe.  Besides sounding delicious, the meatloaf had caught my eye because my dad eats more turkey these days because he can't eat chicken.  So I'd been thinking of it to share with him.  But there are some other tweaks that needed to be done so that my dad would eat it.  You see ... my dad doesn't do carbs and doesn't do sugar - so the bread crumbs need to be from high fiber bread, not just your buy off the shelf Panko.  And the BBQ sauce is out 'cause there is no such thing as "sugar-free" BBQ sauce.  And then there's the minor fact that we never have beer around because my parents don't drink and I generally don't drink when I'm around them.
Spoiler
The bread crumbs really were pretty easy: dry out and crush some of the high-fiber bread my dad does eat. 
Spoiler
And the beer: buy one bottle - except that single bottles are larger than what you get in a six pack ... oh, well, I can drink what doesn't get put in ... but which beer?  I finally settled on a pale ale that wasn't too expensive ... I'm not a connoiseur (sp?) of beer, but don't care for mass produced or dark beers.  It was a little bitter for my taste, but went down well with the meatloaf anyway.
Spoiler
So we're at the grocery store buying the bulk of what we plan to eat for the week and all I have is a list of ingredients without amounts (not to mention the recipe doesn't list amounts for half the stuff :smileywink: ).  And all my mom knows is I want to make meatloaf.  Oh, and my mom is extremely frugal by nature.  So ground turkey ... fine - 1 pound of the cheapest stuff.  But there was only one package of italian ground turkey not already stuffed into sausages ... more than 1 pound.  Bought it anyway - used 1/3 of the package for a pasta dish I made last night.
Spoiler
My dad doesn't eat onions, so that's out ... no problem, one less thing to buy.
Spoiler
But then I start looking for bacon and salami and my mom starts bleating about how expensive this sounds.  I ignore her and just kept shopping. 
Spoiler
We'd solved the challenge of the cheese earlier in this thread, but the provolone was hard to find - finally just got a few slices at the deli counter.  By the time we were shopping I'd forgotten the proportions, but since I've never had "Provel" cheese, I won't know the difference.  And I didn't need to buy cheddar or swiss 'cause mom had brought some with her.
Spoiler
But the BBQ sauce ... sure, I could've made my own without sugar if I'd planned that far ahead, but since when do I ever do that?!  Anyway, I enlisted my mother's help to come up with a subsitute and we finally decided we could use the leftover spaghetti sauce in the fridge with a mesquite rub mixed in.
Spoiler
Oh, and then today while we were wandering Steamboat Springs, I found a used food processor for real cheap and used that to grind the bread crumbs and shred the cheese.  The shredding blade needs to be sharpened, but it seems to be in ok shape otherwise.
Spoiler
Anyway, mom helped me mix and assemble everything ... the large meatballs were her idea - she said they'd hold their shape and they did.  I suppose long loafs might have too.
Spoiler
But the nice thing is that they both said they'd eat it again, and that's always nice to hear. :smileyvery-happy:
Spoiler

Spoiler

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 14 of 15 (190 Views)

09-19-2013 01:52 AM in reply to: Wanderer-MOTD
:smileywink:
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Wanderer-MOTD
Message 15 of 15 (185 Views)

09-19-2013 05:25 AM in reply to: CADiva
Glad you tried it out, and fun to hear your adventure.

Sorry about the no amounts thing and the lack of specificity on the b33r. I just use what I've got laying around. My husband eats onion on his sandwiches, so, maybe I've got 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4 of one to throw in. And, whatever b33r I've got in the fridge, lol.

I've done these in muffin pans, too, that's fun.

Great, now I'm hungry.
Melanie Perry
***not all those who wander are lost***
http://AUGI.com/Surveys
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

My defunct profiles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/651859
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/644095

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community