Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meatloaf recipes

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Mistress0fTheDorkness
602 Views, 14 Replies

Meatloaf recipes

A lot of people have meatloaf recipes, right? There's a fun topic.

1lb ground turkey (approx, can add another pound of this or ground beef to stretch it out)

1lb ground turkey sausage

bbq sauce (preferably sweet baby ray's raspberry chipotle)

2 eggs

beer

bread crumbs

onion & mushrooms (cooked down and caramelized, allowed to cool)

bacon (not thick cut)

provel cheese (yes, provel, not provolone)

proscuitto or salami (optional)

Mix up all ingredients (except the bacon and cheese), preferably keeping a helper nearby to add additional liquids or breadcrumbs as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.

Form two logs of meat (you need to have two, trust me) and create a trough in each one.

Lay provel cheese ropes into the cavity (if using proscuitto or salami, line the trough with it first, then lay in/wrap the cheese)

Tuck the meat up around to completely encase the cheese.

Lay the bacon over the top of each loaf, covering as much as possible.

Brush the bacon/loaf with more of the bbq sauce and bake.

Maybe about 375*, until the bacon is cooked.

Let the meatloaf rest for a little bit, or the cheese will all run out when you cut into it.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Mmmmm ... that sounds like a good Father's Day recipe (as my dad would like it and he'll be home by Father's Day).

That particular cheese might be a challenge.  ~thinks it can't be as easy as just using the three cheeses in combination, but will probably try it that way~

Message 3 of 15
hwalker
in reply to: CADiva

Come on 'Bat Out Of Hell' is a brilliant song. There's no need to butcher Meatloaf 😄

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 15
troma
in reply to: hwalker

I'd go with 12 minutes of 'I Would Do Anything for Love'.....yummy!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 15

There's a recipe here: http://st-louis-pizza.com/provel-cheese.php as well as some suggested uses:

"""you can try this basic formula: 2 cups shredded provolone, 1 cup shredded swiss, 1 cup shredded white cheddar. Mix it well, and add two or three drops of liquid smoke"""

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 6 of 15

😛 lol nice, thanks!

Melanie Stone
Message 7 of 15

Same recipes as yours, except I use Beef and Italian Sausage (Sweet or spicy, depends on my mood): can only get Provel seasonally down here, so a Provolone/Mozz mix it is usually.
Message 8 of 15

I usually use ground sirloin and ground pork in my meatloaf.  I don't measure anything, I just add chopped onions and mushrooms, one egg, breadcrumbs and some fresh thyme and/or rosemary.  Smashi it all together and hope for the best!  Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 15

@pendean wrote:
Same recipes as yours, except I use Beef and Italian Sausage (Sweet or spicy, depends on my mood): can only get Provel seasonally down here, so a Provolone/Mozz mix it is usually.

What excellent taste you have, Dean! 😄

I used to use beef and italian sausage, until I started adding the cheese and bacon... then I switched to leaner meat so I could feel healthier. lol

Melanie Stone
Message 10 of 15

@cbenner wrote:

I usually use ground sirloin and ground pork in my meatloaf.  I don't measure anything, I just add chopped onions and mushrooms, one egg, breadcrumbs and some fresh thyme and/or rosemary.  Smashi it all together and hope for the best!  Smiley LOL

I don't measure much, I season by feel and smell, lol. Drives my husband nuts, because he wants to try to replicate some of my stuff but wants exact directions.

One place where we differ is herbs. I'm quite sensitive to the taste of most herbs and can only use them sparingly... but, DH (having burned off all of his tastebuds with uber-hot tea, imho 😉 ) loves to use a ton of herbs. ~shudders delicately~

Melanie Stone
Message 11 of 15

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
There's a recipe here: http://st-louis-pizza.com/provel-cheese.php as well as some suggested uses:

"""you can try this basic formula: 2 cups shredded provolone, 1 cup shredded swiss, 1 cup shredded white cheddar. Mix it well, and add two or three drops of liquid smoke"""

Excellent - thanks!  I don't have liquid smoke, but I'm guessing I can find that if I just go looking for it.

Message 12 of 15

Finally got to try the OP recipe this week - my parents make great guinea pigs!

I didn't have a loaf pan, so we made large meatballs instead:

Meatballs

1/2 a meatball ended up being just right.  We ate it with a side of baked zucchini:

Zucchini

Nom, nom!

Message 13 of 15
CADiva
in reply to: CADiva

So, can I tell you the adventure of making this meatloaf?  If you don't want to hear it, you can stop reading now ....

Spoiler
So it all started with my mom making some off-hand comment about my bringing or thinking of food I'd like for our week in Steamboat Springs.  I went through my recipe prints for things I've been wanting to try but haven't for one reason or another and one was this recipe.  Besides sounding delicious, the meatloaf had caught my eye because my dad eats more turkey these days because he can't eat chicken.  So I'd been thinking of it to share with him.  But there are some other tweaks that needed to be done so that my dad would eat it.  You see ... my dad doesn't do carbs and doesn't do sugar - so the bread crumbs need to be from high fiber bread, not just your buy off the shelf Panko.  And the BBQ sauce is out 'cause there is no such thing as "sugar-free" BBQ sauce.  And then there's the minor fact that we never have beer around because my parents don't drink and I generally don't drink when I'm around them.
Spoiler
The bread crumbs really were pretty easy: dry out and crush some of the high-fiber bread my dad does eat. 
Spoiler
And the beer: buy one bottle - except that single bottles are larger than what you get in a six pack ... oh, well, I can drink what doesn't get put in ... but which beer?  I finally settled on a pale ale that wasn't too expensive ... I'm not a connoiseur (sp?) of beer, but don't care for mass produced or dark beers.  It was a little bitter for my taste, but went down well with the meatloaf anyway.
Spoiler
So we're at the grocery store buying the bulk of what we plan to eat for the week and all I have is a list of ingredients without amounts (not to mention the recipe doesn't list amounts for half the stuff 😉 ).  And all my mom knows is I want to make meatloaf.  Oh, and my mom is extremely frugal by nature.  So ground turkey ... fine - 1 pound of the cheapest stuff.  But there was only one package of italian ground turkey not already stuffed into sausages ... more than 1 pound.  Bought it anyway - used 1/3 of the package for a pasta dish I made last night.
Spoiler
My dad doesn't eat onions, so that's out ... no problem, one less thing to buy.
Spoiler
But then I start looking for bacon and salami and my mom starts bleating about how expensive this sounds.  I ignore her and just kept shopping. 
Spoiler
We'd solved the challenge of the cheese earlier in this thread, but the provolone was hard to find - finally just got a few slices at the deli counter.  By the time we were shopping I'd forgotten the proportions, but since I've never had "Provel" cheese, I won't know the difference.  And I didn't need to buy cheddar or swiss 'cause mom had brought some with her.
Spoiler
But the BBQ sauce ... sure, I could've made my own without sugar if I'd planned that far ahead, but since when do I ever do that?!  Anyway, I enlisted my mother's help to come up with a subsitute and we finally decided we could use the leftover spaghetti sauce in the fridge with a mesquite rub mixed in.
Spoiler
Oh, and then today while we were wandering Steamboat Springs, I found a used food processor for real cheap and used that to grind the bread crumbs and shred the cheese.  The shredding blade needs to be sharpened, but it seems to be in ok shape otherwise.
Spoiler
Anyway, mom helped me mix and assemble everything ... the large meatballs were her idea - she said they'd hold their shape and they did.  I suppose long loafs might have too.
Spoiler
But the nice thing is that they both said they'd eat it again, and that's always nice to hear. 😄
Spoiler

Spoiler

Message 14 of 15

😉
Message 15 of 15

Glad you tried it out, and fun to hear your adventure.

Sorry about the no amounts thing and the lack of specificity on the b33r. I just use what I've got laying around. My husband eats onion on his sandwiches, so, maybe I've got 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4 of one to throw in. And, whatever b33r I've got in the fridge, lol.

I've done these in muffin pans, too, that's fun.

Great, now I'm hungry.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report