Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor usage in Chicagoland area?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
JimStrenk
711 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor usage in Chicagoland area?

I had a long discussion with a job recruiter here in the Chicagoland area not long ago that suggested I might see more job opportunities come my way if I were to place my focus on 3D applications other than Inventor.

Might there be some truth in that statement?  Based on job openings in the Chicagoland area that you've come across, might changing software increase my chances for employment?

Any information that would provide a sense of how popular Inventor is in the Chicagoland area would be most helpful and enlightening. Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
bgingerich
in reply to: JimStrenk

Greater Grand Rapids, MI area.  Majority of jobs ask for SolidWorks/ProEngineer/Inventor (or just plain AutoCAD); there are a few that ask for Unigraphics based software.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 3 of 11

My advice would be to hit up a good job search engine like Indeed.com and throw out the names of the various software packages, or throw out mechanical designer and look at the postings to see if software is mentioned and compare that way.

For example, current job opening results in St. Louis:

AutoCAD 152
Revit 54
Inventor 7
Catia 11
Solidworks 35

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 11

I can't help but wonder how many of those AutoCAD postings are for "AutoCAD Inventor" or other quirky combinations.  Those doing the posting aren't always the most product savvy.  I know our executives can't wrap their heads around the concept of separate versions of AutoCAD, a third-party application, DWG format, and vertical content format.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 11
JimStrenk
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

I can't help but wonder how many of those AutoCAD postings are for "AutoCAD Inventor" or other quirky combinations.  Those doing the posting aren't always the most product savvy.  I know our executives can't wrap their heads around the concept of separate versions of AutoCAD, a third-party application, DWG format, and vertical content format.

Unfortunately for me, recruiters also have problems describing software to contractors.  Just last week I was sent on a job interview via a placement firm for an Inventor job.  After spending quite a bit of time reviewing prints, I asked the 64 dollar question; "what format are your drawings in?"  While some were PDF's, most were AutoCAD files with solid models within Model Space.  The client had specifically noted to the recruiter "AutoCAD Solids" yet the recruiter understood Inventor models.  That interview cost me 3 billable hours at my current assignment!    The second interviewee was given the assignment.  While traveling to my current job assignment, I talked with the recruiter.  He apparently thought the two applications were the same!  As I ended the conversation I was told by the recruiter that they would try again to find assignments for me.  Now I've got to worry that each time I interview for assignments with this particular placement company, that I'm provided with the correct information about what software will be used!  For the love of Pete, get your facts and software applications straight!  Sheesh!

Jim Strenk

Message 6 of 11

@Anonymous wrote:

@dgorsman wrote:

Unfortunately for me, recruiters also have problems describing software to contractors.  Just last week I was sent on a job interview via a placement firm for an Inventor job.  After spending quite a bit of time reviewing prints, I asked the 64 dollar question; "what format are your drawings in?"  While some were PDF's, most were AutoCAD files with solid models within Model Space.  The client had specifically noted to the recruiter "AutoCAD Solids" yet the recruiter understood Inventor models.  That interview cost me 3 billable hours at my current assignment!    The second interviewee was given the assignment.  While traveling to my current job assignment, I talked with the recruiter.  He apparently thought the two applications were the same!  As I ended the conversation I was told by the recruiter that they would try again to find assignments for me.  Now I've got to worry that each time I interview for assignments with this particular placement company, that I'm provided with the correct information about what software will be used!  For the love of Pete, get your facts and software applications straight!  Sheesh!

~cringe~  Ouch.

Yeah, that's going to be a problem any time you've got an inbetween type, whether a recruiter, HR, or both. Heck, sometimes the hiring manager doesn't even know.

I had rejected an architect's files for cad standards non-compliance a few years back, and neither the manager nor the drafter realized they were using ACA instead of vanilla AutoCAD.

And, during a series of interviews I had last year, I was getting pretty excited and thinking I was a great fit and was going to be hired... until they gave me a SQL test. You wanna know exactly how many times SQL had been mentioned in the job ad, the initial documents I was given to review and in the interviews? None. Yet, it was considered by the hiring manager to be essential to the role.

Wasted a heck of a lot of everybody's time. (Still, I'd used SQL in college, just hadn't in awhile and couldn't pass their test. I might've been able to study up if given the chance.)

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 7 of 11

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:

~cringe~  Ouch.

Yeah, that's going to be a problem any time you've got an inbetween type, whether a recruiter, HR, or both. Heck, sometimes the hiring manager doesn't even know.

I had rejected an architect's files for cad standards non-compliance a few years back, and neither the manager nor the drafter realized they were using ACA instead of vanilla AutoCAD.

And, during a series of interviews I had last year, I was getting pretty excited and thinking I was a great fit and was going to be hired... until they gave me a SQL test. You wanna know exactly how many times SQL had been mentioned in the job ad, the initial documents I was given to review and in the interviews? None. Yet, it was considered by the hiring manager to be essential to the role.

Wasted a heck of a lot of everybody's time. (Still, I'd used SQL in college, just hadn't in awhile and couldn't pass their test. I might've been able to study up if given the chance.)

I feel your pain, Melanie!

Another related nit to pick I have with recruiters and job posters has to do with identfying what version of software is being used at the job location.  Very few jobs I've come across bother to post the current version of the software that's being used!  Each year the 100+ CAD packages available to the public change, sometimes incrementally, other times drastically.  I find knowing what version of software that's being used a valuable tool for several reasons:

1)  It provides me with a technological litmus test.  I tend to stay away from jobs where AutoCAD R13 is being used, as an example.  I shudder to think why would software that old would still be used?  I've been in several situations where during the interview I was asked why 5+ year old software can't do the same things that the latest version of the same software can do.  Back in the day, my AutoCAD R13 skill-set was quite extensive.  I certainly couldn't say that today!

2)  It helps me prepare for the assignment to which I've been hired for.  Not every engineering department has the latest version of software installed.  As of today, I don't imagine that there are many early corporate adaptors of Inventor 2014.  While getting ready to start a new assignment, you'll find me at my computer re-acquainting myself with the earlier version of the software that the client uses.  I don't want to be fiddling around looking for icons or typing commands that aren't available with the older software.

In conclusion, knowing exactly what software and what version is being used, goes a long way in finding contractors that have the required skill-set to successfully complete their job assignments.  Smiley Happy

Jim Strenk

Message 8 of 11

Heh, yeah, one of th AutoCAD jobs I ran across while replying to this post said they were looking for someone familiar with AutoCAD 2000.

~blink blink~

I wouldn't be applying to that one, sorry... I have enough disdain for my company's continued reliance on windows xp, and that's not even a money-making app for us like AutoCAD would be for a design firm.

Melanie Stone
Message 9 of 11

I'll bet even money that we'll see not to long from now a post in the AutoCAD forum why AutoCAD R9 can't get installed on Windows 8.  Smiley Embarassed

I'm afraid that too many upper-management types still chant the following mantra "There is no ROI to calculate when you make 15 year old drafting software available to your engineering staff".  In second place is "Is the latest version really that much easier to use or that much more efficient since we upgraded to AutoCAD 2001?"  Smiley Surprised

Jim Strenk

Message 10 of 11

yeah the places (with old software) are dangerous and i hope people do not apply/work there.  If they cannot afford to buy some new software/hardware, they can't afford to pay employees!  I dunno why it's so difficult to buy new hardware/software unless the company is non-profit or about to go under.  My engineers/workers all routinely ask to renew subscriptions or buy all sorts of things, and I'll automatically say yes.  Sometimes I'll say "sure, but must ask for a discount first" and when the new quote/email shows up i'll sign it.  The other day an engineer wanted a new workstation (his old one was already plenty fast/good but that's ok... there's a rule here that engineers get all the biggest/baddest computers).  So he picked/named all the parts and showed me.  I said no... must upgrade the commercial Radeon video card to a Fire Pro workstation card that's on the SW approved list.  Then instead of a 7200 RPM drive, had him put in an Intel SSD (good capacity/size), even faster i7 IB-type processor, and then approved it.  It was too easy.  But it doesn't help with all the product bugs or project delays though lol.

--
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2019 | Perpetual + Subscription
Message 11 of 11

Once I got onto subscription here, it was easy.

But, the additional hardware is a little bit of a struggle. To get plotters, I have to run it through finance as a 'project'. Computers are replaced regularly, but, we don't have a lot of wiggle room. I get an Autodesk approved graphics card, but, it's never high end because it goes through the company's preferred vendor. Oh, and I keep my old monitors, because they're special orders. I've had 2 monitors in 13 years, but, four or five computers (I swiped a second monitor that was retired).
It took a lot of begging and justification, but, I finally got a 64 bit pc... alas, they wiped off Windows 7 and replaced it with Windows XP... and trying to explain to the IT guys that I need a 64bit driver on our print server is like speaking greek. ~eyeroll~
But, I understand, with 30,000 employees and only a handful using Autodesk software, we'll be the oddballs.

Uh, I digress... I think.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report