Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Movies

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
cbenner
1316 Views, 32 Replies

Good Movies

I started this thread for people who want to talk about movies... old, new... whatever.

I don't get creeped out by movies, horror movies have never had that effect on me other than the obvious"guyjumpsoutfrombehindthedoorway" scare that makes anyone jump a little bit.  Put the toughest most macho guy in the world into a dark room and have someone grab his arm... he'll react.

Yesterday we went to see The Conjuring.  Holy wow.  It's scary on a number of levels.  First, because it's based on events that really happened.  2nd,... demonic possesion anyone?

But mainly it was because the acting and direction were so well done that the film did not need to depend on cheap "gotchas" or gore.  The emotional intensity of the actors and the storyline relentlessy send you into a heightened adrenaline level... to the point of giving you the shakes when you finally crash later.    You believed you were in the house with these people, and you were scared for them, not for yourself.  Of course, even with that, I couldn't help laughing as I watched my daughter (18 this week!) cowering andcovering her eyes and laughing as she whispered "Why isn't this movie over yet?!"

NOT for the under 17 crowd or the faint of heart, but a very well made horror movie.  Prolly the best I've ever seen.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

I prefer comedies, myself.

We never used to watch too much tv, but, now that we've got Netflix and Amazon Prime, we are going back and watching all sorts of old movies that we hadn't seen in years.

Battle of Britain, Dirty Dozen, Dam Busters, Major League, Ferris Beuller's Day Off, As Good As It Gets, Jurassic Park.
Not to mention old TV shows like DuckTales and Daria and The Monkees and stuff... just wild.
Remember my 10 year old that I was just asking about games for? He's really enjoying Daria... lol... fits his sense of humor. 😉 Parenting achivement = unlocked.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 33
Charles_Shade
in reply to: cbenner

Any movie that can create a visceral response has done its job.

For me Monsters Ball was awful until I realized that the sense of wanting to die was exactly what the director wanted. (Took a couple years to get there and will never see it again.)

Recently Jack Reacher where the sniper set up in a parking garage. Too easy, too real, way scary.

Saving Private Ryan - Never sat in a theater for a good five minutes after it was over: stunned. As did everyone else.

Bridge on the River Kwai - Chilling how the sanity of both the Commanders is tested and broken.

GATTACA - Think it can't happen?

Message 4 of 33
cbenner
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Private Ryan got to me too, the first 20 minutes was almost too much.  A lot of vets who were there couldn't watch it, they said it was TOO accurate and took them back to memories that they didn't want.

Message 5 of 33
graemev

If you liked Saving Private Ryan you should watch Band of Brothers.  (Miniseries, technically, not movie.)

I like good movies regardless of genre.  There are too many to list in one go, but here's a starter set:

The Usual Suspects

Three O'Clock High

Roxanne

Breaking Away

Sneakers

The Sting

Highlander

Ronin

Message 6 of 33
Charles_Shade
in reply to: graemev

Hijacking a bit: Over There from the FX network. Excellent TV but only one Season.

The Pacific as well from Spielberg and Hanks.

Message 7 of 33
hwalker

I'm going to hijack as well.

NCIS. I love that show

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 8 of 33

I may have seen more of those, but, I really enjoyed The Usual Suspects and Ronin.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 9 of 33

Oooh, agreed, I love NCIS. Lots of disturbing stories, but, very moving and great characters and mysteries to solve.

We also liked Human Target, wish it would've been on longer.
And we like Person of Interest.

My DH used to make fun of me when I watched Chuck and Two Broke Girls, but, lets face it, he watches and enjoys. 😜

Melanie Stone
Message 10 of 33
Charles_Shade

LA Confidential - Great subtle plot

Message 11 of 33
cbenner

Message 12 of 33
cbenner

I should add that the horror genre is not my normal type of movie.  We love a lot of different things, but sci fi and your basic superhero movies are my favorites.  Anything by Peter Jackson, The Hobbit, LOTR... Star Trek, Star Wars... etc.  The Avengers.

I saw a few minutes of a cheap SiFi channel version of Thor.... I had to laugh.  The Thor character was so pathetic... Chris Hemsworth would have just chuckled at him for a moment... then pounded him into dust with Odin's hammer.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 33

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
Oooh, agreed, I love NCIS. Lots of disturbing stories, but, very moving and great characters and mysteries to solve.

I used to watch that faithfully (starting with S2), but then I missed a few episodes and couldn't catch up, then I missed a whole season, now I'm down to just waiting til it's on Netflix or BluRay and just catching up all at once some day..

The one thing that irks me about it is the fact that their technologies _ALWAYS_ end up working. Every time the team needs access to a secret government network, McGee knows about it and is able to hack in and get just the info they need w/o being detected.  🙂

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 14 of 33
graemev
in reply to: rkmcswain

"McGee knows about it and is able to hack in and get just the info they need w/o being detected."

Kinda like CSI photo enhancement!!  They can resolve a housefly in a coal mine from a '50s newsprint halftone!

Message 15 of 33
rkmcswain

Kinda like CSI photo enhancement!!  They can resolve a housefly in a coal mine from a '50s newsprint halftone!

Yea, NCIS has some magical government digital infinate zoom also.....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 16 of 33
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: rkmcswain

One phrase says it all: "NCIS Double hack"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 17 of 33

That happened to me with Fringe...

LOL... yeah, funny how none of my searches ever run as quickly as theirs do, and I've never seen a BSOD or needing a restart before they can throw the info up on the big screen in their cube farm.

Melanie Stone
Message 18 of 33

I don't watch much TV, but I like Longmire. Anyone remember Life on Mars? I liked it until the ending. One show I used to like years ago was Nowhere Man -- remember that one?

For movies I like comedy, sci-fi, historic fiction, action adventure, and 3D animated stuff. My favorite has to be Tommy Boy (I laughed, I cried etc etc). I also really liked American Grafitti in it's time. Not to mention The Iron Giant...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 19 of 33

That reminded me: American History X

Message 20 of 33
jdkriek

I recently watched Cobra circa 1986 online and I have to say it's way more corny now that I've older - BUT I still loved it

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report