Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commute to work time?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
timdown73
760 Views, 30 Replies

Commute to work time?

Mine's ~52 minutes; 15 minutes through city, the rest is all interstate.  Yours?

BTW, If you have the luxury of working from home...I hate you.  Smiley Happy

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Well, my husband works from home, and I duly hate him for it. 😉

I commute between 40-60 minutes depending on traffic. Two days a week I take the interstate and three days a week I take the highway (my son's preschool is by my office, I'd rather take the highway with him in the car because the interstate drivers tend to be more aggressive and I'm overprotective like that). My new office is right off the interstate, so, no more driving through the city for me.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 31

I listen to a lot of Audio books. Ever try em?
-Tim U.
Message 4 of 31

Haha... audio books put me to sleep... so, yeah, I've tried them... on nights when I can't quite get to sleep on my own.

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 5 of 31
CoreyDaun
in reply to: timdown73

I'm only ~25 minutes.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 31
dgorsman

Between walking, train, and bus anywhere from an hour plus to a little over 30 minutes.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 31
CADiva

Commute? What's that?

(I currently work from my home office ... I have a bigger challenge making myself get breakfast eaten before 8:00 am.)

Message 8 of 31
pendean

25-30 minutes unless I do something foolish like hit rush-hour traffic, then it's 1.5hours.
Get in early, leave late
Message 9 of 31
Murph_Map

Average is 15 minutes with 2-3 min wait getting in the gate and showing ID. Six lane hyw once I leave the subdivision up to the gate then 2 lanes. One thing going for me is the road is blocked off right at the entrance of the parking lot every morning (Mon-Fri)  for the soldiers to run/jog/walk. Weekends that I work I have to drive another 3 miles to get to another gate as the one I use Mon-Fri is closed at that time of the day.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 31
parkr4st
in reply to: Murph_Map

Being a self-employed forester somedays I work in the at home office and other days I am in the field.  Travel is a variety to different woodlot properties and clients, usually within 30  to 45 minutes, and then on foot sometimes to the work site.  Travel I-95, state highways, town roads, back roads, and private roads and walk in the woods alot.   I avoid the traffic as much as possible, travel 30 to 100 miles a day and walk up to six hours a day.  Beats the desk when the weather is good. 

Dave

Message 11 of 31
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: parkr4st

Depending on what time I leave home/work, between 10 - 90 minutes.

30 - 150 if I'm going to/from my girlfriends place where I spend most of my time.

Stockholm traffic ain't nothing you wanna mess with...

I have about 4km to my apartment and, at 16:00 it takes 25minutes to walk and 90 minutes by car...

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 12 of 31
hwalker
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

40 minutes during Term time

20 minutes during Holidays

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 13 of 31
steven-g
in reply to: hwalker

Bicycle 17 minutes, 20 when it's windy. My last job was 5 minutes walk, I hate travelling to work, I move Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 31
Charles_Shade

14.3 seconds

2.18 minutes if I get a cup of coffee.

Of course my paychecks are at the mercy of individuals actually paying their bill in a timely manner.

Message 15 of 31

Heh, I had done so, too... until my oldest was of school-starting age.

As it is, we're thinking about relocating into a better school district before he enters highschool. Conveniently enough, I just started a job in one of the districts we were considering, which would reduce my commute to almost nothing.

Melanie Stone
Message 16 of 31
jggerth1

normally, 30 miles door to door, in 30 minutes.  5 milds in town, the rest is blacktop highway.

Message 17 of 31
jggerth1
in reply to: jggerth1

Interesting study on NPR this morning, correlating commute time with civic/political engagement.  The more time spent commuting, the less involved study participants were in either civic functions or politics.

Message 18 of 31
cbenner

40-45 minutes, all state highway and farm roads.  Lots of woods.  Lots of farm implements.  Lots and LOTS of deer.  In the 7 1/2 years I've been driving this I have hit 3 deer, several raccoons, lots of kamikaze birds and uncounted frogs.  Near misses with possums, skunks, turkeys, pheasants, quail, mice, dogs, cats, rabbits, bald eagles, and one horse.

Message 19 of 31
timdown73

I do all my "reading"Smiley Wink during my commute.   Thank God for my public library and Audio books.

-Tim U.
Message 20 of 31
graemev
in reply to: jggerth1

@jggerth1 wrote:

Interesting study on NPR this morning, correlating commute time with civic/political engagement.  The more time spent commuting, the less involved study participants were in either civic functions or politics.

How odd.  Time spent driving is time not spent doing something else.  Go figure.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report