Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM / Revit Viewers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Milt-Fitz
3395 Views, 7 Replies

BIM / Revit Viewers

Just a quick question to anyone in the forum including Autodesk personnel…

Are there any BIM / Revit Viewers out there, or in development for “non-users”?

I know if anyone needs a version of the software, in a pinch, they could just get a free trial provided the computer they’re using can handle the software. I’m talking specifically about a person (like in marketing) that really doesn’t have a need for the full blown program, or just needs to view a file and print it to do some presentation, estimating or whatever.

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

The 30-day REVIT and REVIT LT trial installs a viewer that keeps on working after the trial segment times out. Just remember not to uninstall the trial.

Message 3 of 8

Yeah, like Dean said.

I've got workstations around my campus where people already go to view and plot DWGs (we have more staff than computers, and even those with computers seldom remember to upgrade their software... even when I remind them, heh, they only remember when they're in a hurry).

At any rate, of those workstations, only one of them has the ability to view Revit files. I put the trial of RMEP on it because it's the one the engineers use. The rest of the staff wouldn't be so keen on it.

Only about 10-15% of the campus is available in RVT at this point anyway, and it's the newer stuff that doesn't take as much maintaining, so it works for now.

As much fun as doing the dwg viewer training here for the past 13 years has been, I'm soooo looking forward to the enjoyment of teaching folks how to navigate a model. Whoooeee. I think that's going to be limited classes sizes to a few of the more tech-savvy folks.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

Depends on what they need to view and/or print, where it needs to be done, and how many others are required in the process.  Design Review might be something to consider, just requires somebody else to push out the DWFs.  For something more complex, how about Navisworks Freedom?  The hardware requirements are a bit (more than a bit, now) hefty and somebody would need to publish the NWD file, but newer versions have the ability to include sheets along with models.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
Milt-Fitz

Melanie, Dean, and  dgorsman,

Thanks again as usual for your input. If I get the chance at AU, I will mention this post in regard to using viewers  for collaboration use.

Mohammad (mpcloob) I will write to you later however, I just wanted to let you know, if you are handy with getting the downloads from the web site, get the most up to date versions (TrueView, Revit, etc., etc., etc...) and I will send, or post some basic steps to use on one of the social sites (AUGI, Cadalyst, etc., etc., etc...).

I will also most likely post this up on my Blog page (Tech-Info and Rants), or on my consulting site (Fitz CAD Service).

Thanks again for all your input

Message 6 of 8
mpcloob

in the name of GOD .
excuse me.
please say to me what is my post that your write this message?
I don't know you say about what thing.
Message 7 of 8
Milt-Fitz

Spoiler

Mohammad (mpcloob)

Please rephrase, or restate the question. I do not understand what information you are asking for.

Message 8 of 8
john_ratliff

Revit Works as a Free Viewer. If you have ever installed Revit OOB you will notice under the Start>Program> The startup Icon to launch Revit in Viewer mode. If you are concerned about licensing and don't have a CAD Systems Administrator that sets up the workstation so that the desktop evironment functions as a viewer, then just download and install the trial version using zeros for the license. Once the license expires the program will funtion as a viewer. No Worries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report