The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)
Non-technical discussions will be held here to give community members a chance to connect and get to know one another.

The Break Room (Non-Technical Discussions)

Visitor
JC3282
Message 1 of 4 (275 Views)

AutoCAD rookie looking for advice please....

275 Views, 3 Replies
01-18-2014 01:46 PM

I am new to this AutoCAD Community and am exicted to see such a supportive forum available for all levels of users.

I am looking for some advice on how to futher my experience using AutoCAD.

Over the last couple of years I have completed my AutoCAD 2D Certificate through a local college in my area.  I have a full time job and did it on the side, online.  I learned a lot and now feel I have a basic knowledge of the program.  

I took this certificate program to see if I would like working with AutoCAD and to add it to my resume in hopes of maybe finding another career that primarily uses the program (or an entity of it) in some capacity.

WIth that being said, I am wondering if anyone has some advice on how I could go about getting practical experience using the program?  

Currently, the only experience I can get is just practicing by copying other drawings and examples I have.  I was hoping to get some more practical experience with a company or person that would give me some real life situations.

At this point, money isn't really a concern, just looking for the experience. 

My background is professional landscaping, as I am an Estimator for a large development/commercial landscape company here in Calgary.  I read architectural and landscape drawings all day everyday, so I am very familiar with reading technical plans.  I have worked in the industry for 10 years and have a Bachelor of Applied Science degree, majoring in landscape management.  However, I am open to any experience in any industry.

Any advice on how I could position myself to obtain some practical experience, is more than welcome, and greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance and great to be a new member of this community!

Justin

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 4 (271 Views)

Re: AutoCAD rookie looking for advice please....

01-18-2014 02:07 PM in reply to: JC3282
No much money in AutoCAD drafting, especially in architecture: the market is saturated and, no offense meant, they are a dime a dozen.
Architecture/MEP/AEC firms have pretty much moved to REVIT, if you want to earn real money.
Everyone else is using Inventor/Solidworks.
Everyone else that pays good but still use AutoCAD have moved to the specialty versions of AutoCAD: ARCHITECTURE, MEP, CIVIL3D, Plant3D, MAP3D and others. There also require the you understand how things go together (you are not drawing dumb lines etc) and some level of industry know-how. Pay is tied to experience and know-how here.

Hope that gives you a realistic view of what's out there.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Visitor
JC3282
Message 3 of 4 (259 Views)

01-18-2014 03:43 PM in reply to: pendean
Thanks for this. Good to know! Thanks for the realistic outlook.
Distinguished Contributor
Wanderer-MOTD
Message 4 of 4 (223 Views)

01-21-2014 11:18 AM in reply to: JC3282
Yes, specializing in a niche means special software and more in-depth skills, but, it also means finding a job a lot easier, because you're not competing in an over-saturated market.

If you join a Local Users Group for Autodesk software, many of the involved members might be involved in educational initiatives and might be able to hook you up with an internship.
Melanie Perry
***not all those who wander are lost***
http://AUGI.com/Surveys
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

My defunct profiles:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/651859
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/644095

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community