Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for Feedback about my Bike lock Invention

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
Bickeylikey
1151 Views, 37 Replies

Asking for Feedback about my Bike lock Invention

Hey guys, my name's Liang I'm a college student and cyclist at USC. I've had three bikes stolen while at USC and it really pissed me off so now I'm doing something about it.

I've created a lock that specifically secures the wheels of a bike. It works by replacing the hex nuts or quick release skewers holding a bike in place. It's designed so none of the common theft tools (i.e. wrenches, vice grips, bolt cutters, flamethrowers, that laser gun from Goldeneye, etc.) can get through it or get any leverage on it.

The nut can only be tightened / loosened with the specific wrench that comes in each package. There are multiple variations of these nut:wrench combinations.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys on the product, whether or not you'd use it, and any advice you have (from business/marketing ideas to product improvements).

Cheers,
-Liang

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: Bickeylikey

Looks great Smiley Happy

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 3 of 38
mrattray

Are you familiar with wheel locks for cars? Looks like a similar idea, and they are very common.
I'm not sure though how this is a better idea than looping a cable through the frame. I mean, you still need to secure the bike to a fixed object to prevent someone from simply riding it away or throwing it in the back of a truck. Isn't the cable that's used to secure the bike the weak point?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 38
LT.Rusty

Looks nifty, but you do realize that in this context "Inventor" means "a piece of engineering software made by Autodesk," not "a person who invents things," right?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 38
graemev

Every bike weighs 50 pounds:

A 20lb bike needs a 30lb lock.

A 30lb bike needs a 20lb lock.

A 40lb bike needs a 10lb lock.

No one will steel a 50lb bike.

I guarantee I can get a good purchase on that nut with common tools.  I can also likely get an easy cut through whatever structure you're locking the bike to.  Suitably equipped, your bike is gone in 30 seconds unless you yourself are on it, unless I'm willing to risk assault and battery on top of theft charges.

An easy quasi-legal way to get your bike is to plant drugs in or on it, report your bike to the cops anonymously, and buy your bike at the police auction a few months later.

All locks are for keeping the honest people at bay.

Message 6 of 38
~master

Minor inconvenience for a thief. At best they would move on to the next weakest link if they really wanted your bike.

If not, they may move on to the next one over.

With 3D printing on the rise, there would be copies of the tool available in no time.

Message 7 of 38
Bickeylikey
in reply to: mrattray

My lock doesn’t serve as a substitution, but a supplement for U-Locks. It protects our wheels from being removed. As long as we replace the traditional nuts with my new bike lock, the wheels can never be taken away by regular wrenches, hammers or screwdrivers (believe me, I tried). Only the key owners can remove the wheels if necessary. Compared to other methods that secure the wheels such as adding a wire lock or another few U-locks, using my lock is much more convenient, since you needn’t crouch every time you wanna lock your wheels (once you have my lock on, you don’t have to touch it unless you want to remove the wheel yourself). However, we still need a U-lock to stick the bike to a stable object.
Message 8 of 38
pendean

Ah, it's a stop-my-wheels-from-being-stolen type lock. Cute, might have a market, but I can't say I've ever seen a bike frame strapped to a pole with both wheels missing before. If your wheels are that fancy wouldn't you just loop the bike chain through them and the frame (and the pole)?
Message 9 of 38
kiraimmorris

I find the best way to keep my bike from being stolen is to have a collapsable bike and a messenger bag. Then i keep said bag with me at all times. And just for kicks, sometimes (or all the time), leave a tracker in the bag (or in the bike). But a strong locking device is good and fancy, especially if there's a fancy lock on it. Which tells people not to mess with your bike, but it tells thieves your bike is expensive and/or special. But like with any invention and marketing achievement it's all about location. I personally don't live in an area with crazed bike stealers, but if you leave your bike overnight without a lock, yes it will be taken by the tooth fairy.

Message 10 of 38
graemev

@Bickeylikey wrote:
... the wheels can never be taken away by regular wrenches, hammers or screwdrivers (believe me, I tried). Only the key owners can remove the wheels if necessary.

Try a good pair of Vicegrip pliers.  They are quite suitable for removing rounded nuts, which is the basic concept of your design.

Keys and key-type tools are exactly what theives buy.  They are a part of the tools of their trade.  What makes you think they won't simply buy a set?

Message 11 of 38
Bickeylikey
in reply to: graemev

We tested the crap out of these with vice grips, a pipe wrench, a regular wrench, needle-nose pliers, and a bunch of other random tools (i.e. the gator grip, bionic wrench, etc.) None of them got even close to getting enough leverage, due to two points:

1) The face of the nut is curved and causes most of these tools to slip right off
2) the cutouts are left open on the left side. Thus, if someone tried to turn it counter clockwise, the tool just slips right out.

We are adding more and more variations every day - I don't think it's smart to disclose how many variations there are online. But since each package would be randomly packed with a wrench, a thief could essentially buy hundreds of packages and never have all the variations.

Message 12 of 38
skintsubby

Ok, so I see a couple of things wrong with the idea..

That only stops the front wheel being stolen not the bike, and only really different to having a quick release spindle. A decent pair of grips would get that off, probably no different to using nyloc nuts on a threaded spindle. If a thief wanted your wheels that bad, he'd just release the bolt on the handle bar stem and take the front forks as well. As for the rear wheel...... hopefully you'd have your security chain through the frame / rear wheel and something grounded?

You also have to carry your "key" with you in case you got punctures... and most folk would take it (and leave it) in their under seat bag along with their repair pack.

If it was me.. and it was my front wheels getting nicked..I'd either use two security chains or I'd just buy cheaper wheels / bike. and save the good one for the weekend / long rides.

Or, assuming it did work as you say... and you're out on a long ride at the weekend. you get a punture and you can't find the key... you're stuck big time.

My thoughts are .. most folk will either have it in their seat pack.... or leave it at home.

Mark

Message 13 of 38
Bickeylikey
in reply to: skintsubby

I'm sorry maybe you have not seen the description in my last reply. The nut can hardly removed by any kind of grips, because the face of the nut is curved that causes the tools to slip off. And the cutouts are left open on the left side. Thus, if someone tried to turn it counter clockwise, the tool would also slips right out.. Meanwhile, These weigh about 30 grams each, but we're looking to get that even lower. It also doubles as a bottle opener. So it wouldn't be a problem even if you carry it with your keychain.

Message 14 of 38

I know nothing about bike locks, but your solution looks better than this one. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 38
Paul-Mason
in reply to: skintsubby

One of these by Stanley tools may be able to undo the nut

unlike most spanners/wrenches it grips on the face not the corners, I've used my set of these on pipes, the ball of a ball joints and numerous other awkward shapes including triangle & oval and a few other wired shape nuts & bolts. How ever there not easy to get hold of and not the sort of thing your everyday tea-leaf will have, or know how to use come to that.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 16 of 38
graemev

@Bickeylikey wrote:

We tested the crap out of these with vice grips, a pipe wrench, a regular wrench, needle-nose pliers, and a bunch of other random tools (i.e. the gator grip, bionic wrench, etc.) None of them got even close to getting enough leverage, due to two points:

1) The face of the nut is curved and causes most of these tools to slip right off
2) the cutouts are left open on the left side. Thus, if someone tried to turn it counter clockwise, the tool just slips right out.

We are adding more and more variations every day - I don't think it's smart to disclose how many variations there are online. But since each package would be randomly packed with a wrench, a thief could essentially buy hundreds of packages and never have all the variations.

I'll take you at your word.  If they didn't work, I'm impressed.

As a hypothetical thief, though...  5 minute epoxy or a suitable cyanoacrylate glue, a pair of hex nuts of the appropriate size, and a piece of string.  Come back in 10 or 15 minutes & use a common crescent wrench.  Fairly inconspicuous to casual passers-by, quick to "intall", quick to remove.

A vengeful thief may, upon discovering that this one won't be easy, take a hammer to the bike frame and quickly render it of no value - an "if he can't have it, neither can you" kind of attitude.  (That is, of course, outside of the intent of the design.  Just sayin'.)

Message 17 of 38
Bickeylikey
in reply to: graemev

@graemev  Hahah yeah... There's ALWAYS going to be ways to get through something. If thieves can get past 4 inch thick bank vaults, they can find a way to break through a nut. That's not the question here.

What our goal is is to make it really, really inconvenient for them to do so. Using epoxy is one example. I'm sure we could all brainstorm a few other ways to get this done. Fact is, this is going to take a good amount of time, effort, premeditation, and preparation of tools, all to steal just a bike wheel.... at the end of the day it wouldn't make much sense from their standpoint

@mason-paul  That tool looks interesting... My gut is telling me the hook of it would fit into a cutout but the bottom portion wouldn't be able to get enough leverage on the curved nut face and just slip off. Either way, we'd love to try it out and post our results here, if you have any idea where we can get our hands on one (couldn't fine one on Stanley's website from searching through)

Guys what other feedback do you have? I love trying to find all the holes in a new idea before launching it - your guys' input is really useful so far.

Message 18 of 38
skintsubby

I'm looking at it this way.

Quick release spindles are so popular because, well… they’re quick release. When you’re on the bike and get a flat you want a method of getting it off quickly so you can then get about fixing the puncture.  Or removing the front wheel for getting the bike in and out of cars, stowed away etc. You can’t be bothered finding special spanners etc to take the wheel off.

Using your device. If a thief is turning up prepared (ie coming with spanners and the like) then your device isn’t really going to stop him if he’s adamant he’s having your wheels, he’ll get them. Like I said… he could just loosen the nut on the handle bar stem and remove the whole fork assembly.

So if it’s an opportunist thief you’re trying to deter, then why not just have nyloc nuts? Or a double chain?

I’m just trying to think if it would help me, and I don’t reckon it would, it would annoy me more than it would help me.

Not saying it might not help others though…

Message 19 of 38
sam_m

without wanting to sound like another nay-sayer but it's not a solution to your original problem - you complained about your bikes being stolen and you've come up with a "solution" for the wheels being removed from the frame.  How does this prevent the original problem, and once that has been tackled then why cannot that solution cover the wheels too?

ie - problem is bike being stolen - solution is better bike lock

problem is wheels being stolen now the frame is secure - solution use the same bike lock through the wheels along with the frame.

I've seen many bikes secured with the front wheel removed and a hefty u-bolt going through the frame, rear wheel and the front wheel positioned next to the rear.  But - this does leave the front fork resting on the ground and possibly damaging it - there might be a market for a front fork protector for this???  But, surely your tamper-proof nut will only frustrate those wanting to easily remove their front wheel and relocate next the rear and secure with 1 lock, as I've just mentioned?

Anyway, thoughts on the design:

1) It doesn't look like much engagement to undo it - if it's on a mountain bike mid muddy/wet ride and this is covered in mud, then will it be a problem trying to remove it?

2) how does it stand up to an angle grinder as thieves here have been known to use cordless angle-grinders to cut through chains?  Tbh, I doubt it would and thus doesn't help prevent a "professional" thief, only an opportunist.

Without wanting to deflate your bubble but I spotted this on Kickstarter the other day and think it's a more clever solution to your original problem:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255965155/the-hench-bicycle-lock-see-video 

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 20 of 38
pendean

What stops a bike thief from buying your kit too? if that's what I did for a living, your kit is in my toolbox too along with all the other "tools of the trade".

You're looking at it from the owner perspective: look at it from the thief's perspective, your release tool works on all of your locks uiniversally. Sweet deal my friend, sweet deal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report