Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Musicians Out There?

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
CoreyDaun
2099 Views, 40 Replies

Any Musicians Out There?

I wouldn't refer to myself as a "musician", exactly, as I don't think I'm at a high enough skill level.

I can play/am learning: Guitar, Piano, Harmonica

I own a few guitars, one being a 12-String, and another being a Goya classical guitar from the 1940's (I believe).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
graemev
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Drum(s) back in elementary.  Throat in highschool and for a few years after.  I have a good ear for music but when it comes to playing an instrument, my left hand is a lump of meat with fingers. 

I do, however, have the correct fridge:

Marshall - small.jpg

Message 22 of 41

I was a guitar player at one point, nowadays I'm more of a guitar owner...:(

Black Fender Strat

Starburst Fender Strat

SRV Signature Series Strat (one of the very first ones made)

I gotta dust them babies off and start playing again and carry on with my quest to melt together the styles of SRV and David Gilmour....;)

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 23 of 41
asommer
in reply to: graemev

It's a journey, not a destination my friend.  To play like them guys is definitely a looooong journey!Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 41
GilesPhillips

I've got 2 guitars, electric and a 12string which I don't play as much as I used to. I also inherited one of these:

A little while ago (A family heirloom) which I manage to torture the odd tune from. Like some other posters here (graemev), I *know* music but don't always suceed in re-creating it 😉  Have always fancied a banjo but they've become a bit trendy recently..

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 25 of 41

@asommer wrote:

It's a journey, not a destination my friend.  To play like them guys is definitely a looooong journey!Smiley Wink

LOL.....ain't that the truth.

I was doing pretty well on Gilmour stuff (I can listen to him all day), but SRV just tore up my fingers.

Stevie was actually the guy who convinced me to start playing. I met him a month prior to his death after a show in CT. I shook his hand, and thanked him for his music, etc. He asked if I played and then told me to just go out and buy a low end strat to start with and just pick away at it while sitting around watchin TV. He said to attempt at playing the commercial jingles and just go from there. I didn't think much of it, I was just stunned to be talking with the master. Well, when he died I felt like a family member died and I swore I'd learn to play. I went out, bought the black strat mentioned above and then of course when the SRV Strat came out I ordered one. Took me 9 months to get it.

I always took the black strat with me when on contract and played in the hotels, etc. but for whatever reason it fell off, I'd have to say family obligations took over. But now the kids are grown, I think it's time to start up again.

I took the two non-SRV strats out over the weekend and dusted them off. They are now sitting in thier stands in my living room, so there's no excuse not to pick them up and start getting back into it. This time I can plug in the amp as I practice...well....maybe not at first....:)

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 26 of 41

You're not alone. I'd definitely call myself more of a guitar owner than a guitar player. It's nice to know that I can still pick it up and play -- there's definitely something to be said for learning an instrument at a young age -- but my playing now isn't what it was, and that tends to frustrate me. I won't give up completely, though. My guitar feels like home when I do pick it up, I just need to make the time for it.

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 27 of 41

Agreed!

When I was younger I was more into keyboards and trying to recreate what Rick Wright was doing for Pink Floyd (yes, I'm a Floyd fanatic) but I failed miserably....:(

My older brother is the one who got guitar lessons.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 28 of 41

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:

I do own a guitar (which I've always played right-handed 😉 ), but, I didn't have very many lessons when I got it (back in college... the first time around).

Since I've finally finished my degree and the kids are old enough to not need me constantly, I told my husband I'd like to pick back up on it, and, he's all for getting me out of the house more 😉 , he's even found me an instructor. I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Well, alrighty then.

It's almost my birthday and DH gave me my pressie early. He handed me a check yesterday to lock in my first two months worth of lessons.

It's been awhile, better start building my callouses back up.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 29 of 41

Wanderer-MOTD wrote:

"Well, alrighty then.

It's almost my birthday and DH gave me my pressie early. He handed me a check yesterday to lock in my first two months worth of lessons.

It's been awhile, better start building my callouses back up."

Some might take a statement like "Here, take this check and go get some lessons!" in a negative way. But anyway, that's a great thing to hear - hope you have some fun! Maybe do a lot of slides and bends to get your playin' fingers back into shape?

I've managed to pick up mine a few times lately in the early AM hours, ~2-3.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 30 of 41

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:

"Well, alrighty then.

It's been awhile, better start building my callouses back up."

Some might take a statement like "Here, take this check and go get some lessons!" in a negative way. But anyway, that's a great thing to hear - hope you have some fun! Maybe do a lot of slides and bends to get your playin' fingers back into shape?

I've managed to pick up mine a few times lately in the early AM hours, ~2-3.

LOL... I'd only be offended if he tried to buy me singing lessons. 😉

Thanks, I'm sure I will. Believe it or not, back when I started playing, I worked more than I do now (three jobs versus my measley two now 😉 ) so it took me forever to build up some callouses. This time I hope to constantly annoy my husband... I mean, I hope I have more downtime to keep it up regularly.

Awesome. Heh... I'm fairly certain my old man would be all crazy like "you'll wake the kids up" if I tried that. 😉

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 31 of 41
Ray_Feiler

I'm in the band man. I play the guitar and some keys. Smiley Happy

Basement2.jpg

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 32 of 41
jmayo-EE

Wow. I am astonished with all the responses here. Include me even with the 20 something years of rust that I began shaking off last year. I pick up one of these things every day.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 33 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 34 of 41

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. I am astonished with all the responses here. Include me even with the 20 something years of rust that I began shaking off last year. I pick up one of these things every day.

Oooh, pretty!!!

I had a wall hanger for mine, but, DH isn't all about that, so I just got a new floor stand yesterday. Now to teach the kids (at least the youngest) to keep his grubby paws off.

Shoot... stupid firewall here won't let me upload a pic.

Melanie Stone
Message 35 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I wanna' see that Martin. I think you also have an ES? Post a pic.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 36 of 41
TBasich

Beautiful! I can't keep mine out -- the 30-degree changes in temp in a single day make me nervous -- but I'd love to. Would probably get my playing more often.

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 37 of 41
Joe-Bouza

I'll try to get some photps from home

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 38 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: TBasich

Thanks! That's part of the herd. There are 6 more and a DSS-1 synth. All but 4 are from the 70's and 80's when I was getting paid playing them. 🙂

Melanie, I have a $75 Squire Strat that I put Fender Custom Shop decals on for my son.  😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 39 of 41
riff62

I was reading old threads and ran across this one..the stories about SRV reminded me of the time I met him..he was playing the Civic Center in the town I lived in in the early 80s and touring with the Fabulous T birds with his brother Jimmy..he was doing a sound check, and I was setting up chairs in front of the stage. He was up there wailing away and I stopped to watch..when he was done, he asked how it sounded..we got into a discussion about acoustics, concerts, etc..I mentioned that I played guitar and he asked if I was in a band..I replied, no..I play with myself..which got quite a response from those present..lol..he asked if I was coming to the show later and invited me to watch from the side of the stage..during the show as he was playing he came over to the side of the stage and started talking to me, asking me if I was having fun, what I thought of the sound, etc..it was pretty funny...he was a pretty nice guy, as was his brother Jimmy who I met that day as well..after the show, as he walked offstage, he shook my hand and said see you soon kid...
Message 40 of 41

~giggles~ Cute.
That sounds really cool.

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report