Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle isolate

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AlanEddie
2330 Views, 7 Replies

Toggle isolate

Melscript for Softimage toggle isolate...

http://nerd.paololazatin.com/toggle-isolate-selected-in-maya/

Alan Eddie
Message 2 of 8
AlanEddie
in reply to: AlanEddie

Sorry I see that was implemented in Maya, SHIFT i by default.

Alan Eddie
greatclouds

This is a great helper for softimage users and thanks for all the efforts but I am still missimg the most vital part of isolation of Softimage which is the ability to create new objects after isolation and the newly created objects added in the curent isolation.

Message 4 of 8
greatclouds
in reply to: greatclouds

Ok I just edit your script to do exactly what I am looking for. Here it is for the others that miss the Softimage way of isolation

//Toggle Isolate Selected in Current Panel

$currentPanel = `getPanel -withFocus`;

$state = `isolateSelect -q -state $currentPanel`;

if ($state == "0")

{

enableIsolateSelect $currentPanel 1;

isoSelectAutoAddNewObjs $currentPanel 1;

}

else

{

enableIsolateSelect $currentPanel 0;

isoSelectAutoAddNewObjs $currentPanel 0;

}

Message 5 of 8
jill.ramsay

Hi there,
Can you help me to understand what is different in Softimage in this respect, that you can't do with the current Isolate Select options in Maya?
Thanks,
Jill
Message 6 of 8
AlanEddie
in reply to: jill.ramsay

Hi there, I hadn't spotted the `Shift +i` shortcut for isolating an object, so I see it works fine... and already has plenty of options. I wrote a script for isolation in After Effects..
http://aescripts.com/isolate/

Think it is useful to have a bug/hud to show what is the viewing mode. There is the word isolate on the heads up display but some thing bigger or color coded might be a good idea, or say a yellow boundary around the viewport for isoalte and a red boundary for Auto Animate etc.

Alan Eddie
greatclouds

Actually when you isolate some objects in Softimage, a HUD appears on the top left side of the current viewport which holds some buttons; a minus button which removes the selected objects from the viewport, plus button adds the selected objects to the current isolation and an X button  removes the current isolation to see the every objects in the scene normally. Actually as for me, Maya lacks a steamlined workflow as softimage has; most of its tools scattered across the vieport for some reason. Same is true for isolation tool. Softimage does this with a single click of a button but in Maya, one has to isolate objects and add new objects to the curent isolation seperately which kills the artistic aspect of using any 3d app.

Message 8 of 8
AlanEddie

Well the functionality is more or less all there, the usual seems to apply - you need to get coding it a bit and make it work the way you want...

Until there is a redesign of all this stuff (if there will be) perhaps stick scripts on your shelf...

There is auto load new objects, Auto load selected (Which is crap as when you go to edit what's selected, ie go into sub-object mode, it loses the selection and they disappear!)

Load selected and add selected and remove selected are there - the user has to make the little plus and minus buttons etc...

So the biggest annoyance is the "Auto load selected objects" drops out objects when you go into sub-object.

You could also make a custom marking menu... like map it to "i" and have all these options pop up when u hold down the key.

Alan Eddie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report