Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping system improvement?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
szabolcsmatefy7891
414 Views, 1 Reply

Snapping system improvement?

In Softimage the supra key/sticky key paradigm made a life helluva easier than in any other package. In the snapping system it was reperesent via using the CTRL key

During transforms, pressing and holding the CTRL key activated the active snapping (point, CV, edge, segments, faces, grid, etc), and upon releasing the CTRL the snapping was switched off. So you could set up simultaneous snapping to various component types, and with the CTRL key you activate the snapping to all the pre set snapping modes. It made life really easy. Meanwhile, you could set, if you wanted to snap the selection as one entity, maintaining their position to each other (COG, center of Geometry mode), or as unique components (COG off). Godsend feature. 

One of the biggest invention in Softimage was the ALT key modifier for pivot replacement. Softimage made difference in pivot and center. Center was the center of geometry (in Maya itmight be the pivot), while Softimage's Pivot is a temporary center of transformation. Pressing and holding ALT made you able to replace the pivot to a different place, providing a new center of object, until you release it. This way it was easy to snap to object based upon a specific vertex (pivot placed to the moving objects vertex and then snap the object using this new pivot to the target vertex)

If these features are implemented, our artist would be happier to use maya. And would be a bless to Maya users as well.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hey it's me again.  Thanks again for the feedback.  As I mentioned in my reply to your other thread (here), can you try out Maya's Custom Pivot Tool and let me know what you think, when compared to Soft's (if of course you have a copy of Maya handy)?  We do have work to do to improve the workflow, but some of what you're looking for from Soft's Tweak Tool should be now available since the Maya 2014 release, thanks to the introduction of the Modeling Toolkit; i.e.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU//?guid=GUID-677E3E8A-3076-4ACA-9736-3E0F47AD6657

And yes, I agree that snapping works really well in Softimage and so thanks for highlighting that.

Trevor Adams

Maya Design Team Manager, Mudbox Designer, Maya Modeling Designer

Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report