Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
patv
443 Views, 3 Replies

Rendering...

Obviously the biggest question has to be about rendering.

Now that Softimage is technically out of the mind of Autodesk we have to figure out what our rendering pipeline will entail. Let's be honest, Maya is absolutely horrible when it comes to output. Max is no better.  Currently Maya deals with Render Layers and pass overrides, but there is so much confusion when it comes to setting up complex pass setups with multiple shader overrides.  If you really want to make us happy port the entire render pass setup of Softimage over to Maya.  I know that this is not possible :(.  For the time being the fix is to send animation over to Softimage for render and maintain an older version of the software.  Other ways to go around using Maya is to switch to Houdini and use Mantra.  Guess what I want to stay in one package. Now that I'm forced to go back in time and use this really pretty new version of Maya that still doesn't do the most important part of the pipeline well, I want something that works in production. 

What I am asking for is something like an Outliner view that has groups for doing shader overrides and pass management.  How hard is that to implement? This Render layer system currently is not a great way to maintain multiple passes. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jill.ramsay
in reply to: patv

Thanks for the feedback, yes this is consistent with what we've been hearing elsewhere.

Jill

Message 3 of 4
patv

So what your saying is we are on the "Road to Partition" already.  

Message 4 of 4
jill.ramsay

I'm saying that along with a lot of other feedback, it's something the we've been hearing a lot. Right now the teams are seeing what can be done in the short and longer terms to address the issues that appear to be causing the biggest obstacles to those transitioning. I can't say anything more than that in a public form, unfortuantely. But please do keep the feedback coming, and please do be assured that we are listening to it.

Best,

Jill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report