Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

meshen in Mechanical for moldflow

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
phammer
406 Views, 2 Replies

meshen in Mechanical for moldflow

HI Everbody, 

does anybody have information, if it is possible to use the mesher of mechanical or CFD for generating meshes for Moldflow.

Would it be possible to mesh multibody parts?

Greetings Philipp

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
gochoats01
in reply to: phammer

Good day Phillip,

i guess it could be possible, maybe you just need to export the mesh model in a valid format to import in Synergy.

many months ago i made a try exporting the sim CFD mesh to synergy in IDEAS (*.unv) format and it was successful, i just saw a possible problem and was the boundary layer that CFD creates on the mesh i don't know if moldflow can solve the model with this kind of element.

hope this help

Gerardo

Message 3 of 3
raalteh
in reply to: phammer

Hi phillip,

Whether or not it's possible to do this and whether it's a good idea are two different things.

As suggested, you should be able to export and import a mesh through a common neutral format, with the caveat that other programs may support meshes (e.g. hex meshes) that are not available within Moldflow and that the product won't know what to do with. Linear tets and triangles, should in principle work.

Whether this is a good idea or not ... I would urge for caution; the meshes generated within Moldflow follow requirements that the sovers have; e.g. mesh matchinf or Dual Domain or arrangements of a minimum of 6 layers of tets through the thickness, and proper transitions from thin to thick areas. These are non-trivial components that the Moldlfow meshing team forces upon the Moldflow mesher, whcih may not be available from external meshers. Although a third party mesher may provuce an optically good looking mesh, I would suggest caution with the interior of the mesh, which may affect solver accuracy.

Hanno 

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report