Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

comparison between Dual domain and 3d mesh results

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Akshd1191
822 Views, 4 Replies

comparison between Dual domain and 3d mesh results

Hi all,

I  want to a fill analysis of a part in moldflow, i conducted the analysis using dual domain and 3D mesh without changing any input parameters. thee is difference in fill time about 0.22 sec difference, the part is very small 0.22 sec fill time difference is very valuable. now my questions are

1)Which one should i trust?

2)Why is there so much difference?

Can anyone please clarify my doubts....

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: Akshd1191

Hi,

Now as I understand correctly you have used same process parameters/boundary conditions, including Injection gate location for both the studies.

Even if your model is small, the mesh used to compare the result is different i.e. DD & 3D. The solvers used are different so results will vary a little.

I suppose you have DD mesh with 'mesh match %' about 90 or more while comparing this mesh with 3D & geometry is captured well enough. While 3D mesh comes up with 6 or more layers of elements through thickness.
Please understand that Simulation results should be used as a approach & not the final verdict. So on Practical injection molding machine results will not match perfectly in some conditions it all depends on different parameters i.e. mesh capture, which is a very important factor in deciding.

If you have a very simple part where part wall thickness is not much varying then use DD mesh with 'mesh match %' about 90 or more.
First you have to understand which mesh should be used then compare DD or 3D mesh.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 3 of 5
madhukeshwart
in reply to: Akshd1191

you can trust 3D, As we  do .Provided you are using the software the way in intended to be used.!!

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 4 of 5
JayMuller
in reply to: mayur_dhumal

"Simple parts with close to no variation in wall thickness" - Have those parts every day  300 x 400 x 2.3 mm in PMMA

I made the experience that the pressure results in DD are very far away from reality - 3D much better (matched for about 90%).

E.g. :   DD: 130 MPa  3D: 95 MPa Real: 100 MPa

But you can't tell universal....extremely depends on geo and material.

If you need weld lines - never use DD.

Regards,

Jay

Message 5 of 5
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: JayMuller

Hi Jay,

Yes correctly said.
I have experience the issues with Weld lines in DD mesh, where it should not be & also i had seen that free edge in another one study where connectivity was 1, nothing was wrong with the mesh.
So these problems were observed by me in past. I am happy that i know when to use DD & When 3D. It all depends on time, geometry (Thickness, complexity etc.), material.
Yes 3D gives far more better results.

Thanks,
Mayur

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report