Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation of In-mold label - What is meant by "interface conductance"?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
394 Views, 1 Reply

Simulation of In-mold label - What is meant by "interface conductance"?

High there!

I try to simulate an in-mold labeling process with AMI 2013 and now search for a proper value for the interface conductance of polycarbonate film with a thickness of 250 µm. The value rquired from Moldflow should has the unit [W/m^2*°C].

Either the film manufacturers (Bayer & MacDermid) nor the professors at my university know the term interface conductance. They all reference to the heat conductivity of polycarbonate that is about 0.2 W/m*K but has an different unit!

My questions are:

What is exaclty meant by the "interface conductance". Is this the heat transfer coefficient U?

Can I divide the heat conductivity by the film thickness (0.2 W/m*K : 0.00025m) to get the "interface conductance" of 800 W/m^2*K ? Or can somebody please give me the proper value for the "interface conductance" of polycarbonat film.

Thanks for supporting me!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
nordhb
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,
the thermal conductivity for the polymer in the in-mold label, you will get when assigning the polymer material.

Interface conductance specifies the ability of heat to be dissipated from the selected region of the mold.
A greater interface conductance means the greater the ability for heat to be extracted.

See Help:
Modeling > Cooling system > Cooling considerations > Interface conductance
or
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_Moldflow/enu/2013/Help/2.0Insight/0670-Modeling670/1431-Cool...

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_Moldflow/enu/2013

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report