Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale model & Clamping force

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
viXa
515 Views, 4 Replies

Scale model & Clamping force

Hi,

I have two questions.

1. When importing a model for a simulation analysis, should I add a scale factor to the 3D model according to shrinkage factor of the plastic material when I finished the design, or not? Will Moldflow add the scale factor after I chose the plastic material?

2. When I make a fill analysis of a part, I get the results for the clamping force of the machine. What will be the value of the clamping force, if the mold produces 4 parts for example, if the mold is using hot runner system with manifold, not cold runner system?

Thank you,

Viktor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
madhukeshwart
in reply to: viXa

1. When importing a model for a simulation analysis, should I add a scale factor to the 3D model according to shrinkage factor of the plastic material when I finished the design, or not? Will Moldflow add the scale factor after I chose the plastic material?

You may add and may not add. That hardly maters in analysis results. but while interpreting results you need to take care.

If you wanna overlay scanned data and moldflow warp model and compare or export warp model for reference, Then you must scale to add shrinkage

Moldflow itself will not add any scale factor at any case.

2. When I make a fill analysis of a part, I get the results for the clamping force of the machine. What will be the value of the clamping force, if the mold produces 4 parts for example, if the mold is using hot runner system with manifold, not cold runner system?

what ever case the clamp tonnage will be based on projected area and cavity pressure.

Mold flow some times over-predicts due to overlapping surface / slider or side core face, we need to exclude them for clamp calucalation.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 5
viXa
in reply to: madhukeshwart

For the second question, my point was: 

The mold is predicted to have 4 cavities with hot runner system with manifold. If I make the analysis on one part, with one injection gate (because the flow would be the same for all 4 cavities), what will be the real results for the clamping force. Should I multiply the analysis result for the clamping force by 4.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hello,

If you modelize 1 cavity, you can change the propertie of the cavity to take into account the others cavities in your results.

Select the cavity modelize, right click ==> Properties and change the occurrence number to 4.

Do the same for the hot runner system. (only the hot runner who is duplicate in your mold not the central hot runner).

(Picture for exemple)

Regards

occurrence.png

Message 5 of 5
madhukeshwart

1. You can simulate only quarter/ i.e one cavity instead of 4 cavities. But you need to assign occurance mumber.

2. If you apply right occurance number... Then clamp tonnage will as actual...

3. If you run for a quarter of layout ..but if you didn't apply the occurance number.....then tonnage will 1/4 of actual...and also results will not be same. It is wrong.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report