Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Scandium once again available on Autodesk Labs

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
scott.sheppard
1776 Views, 6 Replies

Project Scandium once again available on Autodesk Labs

The Project Scandium technology preview has returned:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/scandium 

It is compatible with Autodesk Simulation Moldflow 2013. I have made the 64-bit download available on the Autodesk Labs site. I have the 32-bit version if anyone wants it, but my guess is that most early adopters are using 64-bit.

Capabilities in this technology preview beyond the commercial release:

• New Thermoplastics Bi-injection Molding process for Midplane analysis technology
  • New injection-compression (video) and pure compression molding (video) process simulation capabilities for 3D analysis technology
  • New mechanical property prediction for long fiber-filled thermoplastics composites.
  • New Buckling analysis option for 3D analysis technology
  • Various Solver enhancements address accuracy and speed.
      1. New Crystallization analysis result displays final average crystal size distribution
      2. Midplane and Dual Domain Warp solver accounts for viscoelastic mechanical properties of thermoplastics
      3. Improved time to solution for Microcellular Injection Molding analyze
      4. Cartridge heater enhancements for 3D elements
      5. Wall slip option added to 3D flow solver parameters
      6. 3D Gas-assisted Injection Molding analysis supports multiple gas cylinders
      7. New results produced by the 3D flow solver
      8. Large deflection stress analysis parameters enabled for 3D Microchip Encapsulation analysis
      9. New 3D result mapping method improves time to solution
  • FBX export capability increases visualization options among Autodesk products.

The Simulus technology preview requries Autodesk Simulation Moldflow Synergy and Insight 2013 licenses, and the technology preview will expire on August 17 2013.

We are looking forward to your feedback.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dg
Observer
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hi,

I'm participating in project scandium and noticed a problem. I'm trying to do overmolding for thermoplastic compression molding and can't seem to get the inserts to work. My regular thermoplastic injection molding version of moldflow allows for inserts, but not the new scandium. I can' put them in and select their properties correctly, but the analysis won't run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

D.York

Message 3 of 7
raalteh
in reply to: dg

Hi,

I'm happy to see you are using the compression molding code. We are very excited about this.

Correct, at compression molding currently does not support insert or two shot overmolding. However we are aware of this and it's being considered for the future.

Best regards,

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 4 of 7
joohhan12
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hi Scott,

I am a Moldflow 2012 user, and would like to participate in project scandium for compression molding simulation.

So I am thinking of upgrading my license to Moldflow 2013; however, prior to purchasing the latest release of Moldflow I would like to ask you the following question:

• The technology preview expires in August 2013. Are you then planning for a new release of the technology preview any times soon after it expires??
  • If new technology preview be available after the current one expires, would the new preview be compatible with Moldflow 2013 license?? In other words, if I upgrade the current license to Moldflow 2013, would I still be able to download the new technology preview??
  • If the technology preview installed (with Moldflow license upgrade) before it expires, can I still use the technology preview installed in my computer even after it expires??
  • When will these (compression molding) simulation capabilities be commercially available?? Would the upcoming release of Moldflow (Modflow 2014??) include these simulation capabilities??

Thank you in advance for you reply to my inquries. I am desperately looking forward to the commercial availability of the compression molding simulation capability in Moldflow soon.

Thanks,

Joe Han

Message 5 of 7
scott.sheppard
in reply to: joohhan12

Technology previews are for feedback. What happens after the technology preview ends depends on what kind of feedback the team gets. It is not a good idea to make purchasing decisions based on ephemeral technology previews. When purchasing, you should evaluate each product on the features contained in the official release. I know it's not a great answer, but that is as much as I know for sure.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 7

Since the previous technology preview expired on August 17, I have posted a new version that is compatible with Simulation Moldflow Insight 2014. THis one runs until February 9, 2014.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7

Parametric Study with Injection Compression Moulding 3D (see also attachment)

In a parametric study I've defined 2 variables((Press Open Distance and Compression starts by % volume filled). In the Results Comparison Explorer the Press Open Distance value was not modified and set to 0 (initial value 0.5). When the variables are set and I re-open the parametric study builder the Press Open Distance parameter is unchecked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums