Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with MSA and ANSYS

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
747 Views, 2 Replies

Problems with MSA and ANSYS

Hi all

I am trying to run a stress analysis of my part after carrying out a Moldflow simulation.  The part is carbon fibre filled PEEK and is rotating (stresses are due to the inertia).  I have managed to run similar models to this in the past using MSA.  This time I cannot work out what is wrong.

I have completed a 3D fill+pack analysis in Moldflow Insight 2010.  When I try to solve the structural analysis in ANSYS v11 using the MSA plug in, the analysis runs for a while, and then I get an error about excessive displacements and too many degrees of freedom.  This usually points towards a model that is unconstrained (which mine shouldn’t be) or with zero / very low stiffness.

If I create a new model, with the same mesh and constraints, but use standard isotropic properties (i.e. not properties from MSA) the ANSYS model will solve correctly.  Therefore I know that my loads/constraints are ok.

My ANSYS mesh was created in workbench, which I read into Classic via a .inp file.  I edited the file to ensure that I was only importing element and node data.  When in classic i set up the model according to the help file, and also add in the material density since my loads are inertial.  I have used this method before and managed to get results successfully (eventually)

Aside from trying things at random, this error is difficult to troubleshoot because it’s not easy to see how MSA actually works, and what material properties it is using.

Has anyone come across a similar error message?  Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AfshinParvazi7236
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

can you try to change your load definition (for example simple forces) , so you don´t need to add material definitions like density? and rerun the analysis with MSA?

today MSA is not able to add any other data additionally to the material data reading from lsp file

thanks,

regards

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

To reply this question, it may be high time now...but the reply may be helpful for documentation purpose...

I had the same issue in recent past...one of the reason of this problem is 'path for ansys executable is not given properly'.

In the Ansys product lanuch,Under the Customization/Preferences , there is a tab 'Custom Ansys Executables' and we need to give right path for the same.

Try this, it worked for me...

Thanks

Abskuks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report