Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with assembly

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
lsai0007
393 Views, 1 Reply

Problem with assembly

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to simulate a transient cooling analysis via conduction solver. I have my plastic 3D part with a sprue within the same CAD file and a polymer insert. I have IGES curves as cooling lines. My part has micro sized features hence would require a very fine mesh.  On the other hand the mould would require a much larger mesh. This would result in mesh discontinuity. I have attempted to create a mould with the holes for the cooling channels yet no cavity for the plastic and then stitch the contact interfaces as was done in this work http://www.imr.sandia.gov/papers/imr20/RNXu.pdf. I assembled the part and insert together inside the mould, imported them and then meshed first the part and insert. I then meshed the mould and stitched the contact interfaces in order to obtain a fine cavity mesh. However when I am running the simulation I am getting the "low part mould contact ratio". This was confirmed as the polymer did not appear to cool down in the results.

Could anyone help me out? Thanks 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mayur_dhumal
in reply to: lsai0007

Hi,

You have a mesh defect related to 'Improper part-mold contact'.

Occasionally, the Cool (FEM) analysis results will not converge.

Generally, when this is the case, the cause is poor matching between the mold elements and the part elements.

If the elements do not match well, the analysis will fail. It is recommended to remesh the mold and fix these areas. Mesh using 'Precise mesh match' option.

Regards,

Mayur

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report