Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Particle pathline plot - use-cases wanted

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dorinc
1295 Views, 7 Replies

Particle pathline plot - use-cases wanted

The team at Autodesk Moldflow are investigating possible use cases for particle pathline plots and would like to speak to any users who could provide some definition for these.

If you think that a pathline plot would assist you to solve one of your current issues, then please contact the lead Autodesk Moldflow user experience (UX) designer, Caroline Dorin on caroline.dorin@autodesk.com and we will set up a time to talk to you.

Thank you,

Caroline Dorin

Caroline Dorin
Snr. User Experience Manager, Generative Design & Simulation - Product Development & Manufacturing Solutions
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
madhukeshwart
in reply to: dorinc

such option exists in sigmasoft ( injection molding)/ Magma soft( die casting simulation),  called "Tracer", which visualizes the trajectories of the fluid individual particles, when the flow characteristics are clearly delineated, turbulences emerge and the risky spots of eventual defects during filling are traced out &  also gives information regarding the level of intermixture.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 8
dorinc
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Hello Madhukeshwart,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you be interested in discussing potential uses for a pathline plot in your work processes?  If you can think of some scenarios where this might help you solve a particular problem and you'd be willing to talk with us about those scenarios then we would be very interested to talk to you.  I'd be happy to set up a call at a time that suits you.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Caroline Dorin

Caroline Dorin 
Senior User Experience (UX) Designer

Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group

Autodesk, Inc

Caroline Dorin
Snr. User Experience Manager, Generative Design & Simulation - Product Development & Manufacturing Solutions
Message 4 of 8
nishit78

As i understand it, I think it'd be useful to understand packing dynamics. The velocity plot does this for the filling phase (I think so).

Another application could be coolant flow to aid better visualization of flow-rate distribution across parallel cooling circuits.

Message 5 of 8
madhukeshwart

Caroline Dorin,

1. It will show turbulent flow of material inside the cavity, may be where air entrapment can happens.( It is more helpful in castings, may be less helpfull to plastics parts as mostly parts with uniform wall thickness).

2. It may helps to show where are weldline locations.

3. It may helps in deciding cold wells location and sizes.

4.It May be in gas assisted injection molding, it help, where to provide over flow well

5. It may helps, where material is stagnant / continuesly flowing.

May be less usuful in moldflow as most of these are addressed in different methods/ways/plots.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 6 of 8
nicola.pavan

Hello,

I think this kind of result could be interesting. The more useful application could be in case of non-uniform wall thickness in the way of checking material behaviour, especially with rubbers.

Anyway the flow during molding process is not steady-state flow and the particle traking is very hard to plot in an intelligeble form for different time step.

Moreover good results, probably, will require quite fine 3D mesh with longer calculation time.In this case the current velocity plot could be enough for the most of the application.

At your disposal

Message 7 of 8

Another application of such tool could be the evaluation of stagnation area (dead spot) inside hot runner system, in order to evalute zone where degradation of polymer or difficulties on colour change could happen
Message 8 of 8
ucornes

In 2k overmolding processes, sometimes we inject a transparent material first and a opaque plastic in 2nd place. Perhaps this tool could give us an idea of whether there could be material contamination (the 2nd material swepts along the first one because it melts due to the pressure/temp.).

This could be a really interesting application for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report