Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel processing and GNU/Linux

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
solymossy
825 Views, 4 Replies

Parallel processing and GNU/Linux

Hi Folks!

I would like to know if Moldflow's new edition was able to make use of multi core processors under GNU/Linux? (Because the last version - 2010 - was not.)

Thank You,

Balázs SOLYMOSSY Edited by: Solymossy on Apr 7, 2010 9:20 AM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TimPalmer2390
in reply to: solymossy

Dear Solymossy,

I installed the 2011 release and it does not appear to have multi-processor for Linux.....

I thought it would have it by now..... Maybe 2011-R2.....

-Tim Palmer
Message 3 of 5
raalteh
in reply to: solymossy

Hi Solymossy,

The 3D Warp code is parallelized for Linux but the 3D flow code is not at the moment (2010 and 2011). The main reason for this is that the compilers that are required, have become available for Linux only relatively recently.
Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 4 of 5
M.Brassel
in reply to: raalteh

Are there any good news at the Linux front?

More than 3 years have passed by since the last answer concerning parallel processing under GNU/Linux. I'd like to make use of the multiple cores and processors of our Linux servers with Simulation Moldflow as we have done with our older Windows machines.

Neither specifying the number of threads, nor automatic or maximum number of processors changes anything in the usage of only one single thread.

As of today, simulation on Linux servers without any parallelization is near useless, as multi core workstations with Windows are much faster.

So support for multiple cores is essential for the further development of Linux versions.

--
Please use "accept as solution", so others may find solutions quickly. Also give kudos where suitable to further enhance these forums.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
M.Brassel
in reply to: M.Brassel

Sorry, there was a misconception. Parallel processing DOES work!

But the number of threads can/has to be defined for flow and warp simulation separately.

Autodesk Support confirmed the following behaviour:
* If automatic ist specified, the Linux solver uses only one thread.
* If a specific number of threads is defined, the Linux solver uses the specified number of threads.
* If maximum is specified, the Linux solver uses all threads available.
--
Please use "accept as solution", so others may find solutions quickly. Also give kudos where suitable to further enhance these forums.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report