Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No-Flow Temperature of Material

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MrBlub
2108 Views, 5 Replies

No-Flow Temperature of Material

Hi there,

As far as I understand Moldflow uses a fixed value for a temperature that defines the material to be in solid or melt phase and the frozen layer will be determined by this temperature. Its proper definition seems  to be crucial to determination of flow fronts and pressure predictions. So the questions arises, how does Moldflow determine this no-flow temperature and is there a way to influence it?

Thank you very much for any hint!

Rgds

(Using Moldflow Insight 2013)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MartinCavalry
in reply to: MrBlub

Hi MrBlub,

I had a look and compared two types of grades according to data from material properties window.

Generic PP: semi-crystalline

Ttrans                  = 111 C

b5 (pVT)               =  388.75 K = 115.6 C

D2 (CrossWLF, Tg) = 263.15 K = -10 C

Lexan 105: amorphous

Ttrans                  = 144 C

b5 (pVT)               =  415.98 K = 142.83 C

D2 (CrossWLF, Tg) = 417.15 K = 144 C

For amorphous grades the Ttransition may be estimated by the Tg.

For semi-crystalline grades the Transition may be estimated by the Tcrystallization (Ttrans ~ Tc which is b5 from the pVT, you can query the data point on the pVT plot just when the specific vol. drops exponentionally from the melt phase to the solid phase).

However, I noticed that sometimes Trans < Tc (b5). And Tc is a dynamic property and such depends on the cooling rate.

Hope you find this useful...

kind regards, Martin

Message 3 of 6
nordhb
in reply to: MartinCavalry

Hi,
the Transition Temperature is the temperature at which the polymer transitions from molten state to solid state.

The method used to test this is a standard method:
ASTM D3418, using DSC, Differential Scanning Calorimetry.

You can edit/modify the transition temperature of the material.
In process settings: Advanced options...
Molding material: Edit...
tab Rheological Properties

This way of manipulating material data is basically not recommended.
This might affect other material data properties or invalid data, affecting analysis results.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 4 of 6
MrBlub

Ok - so you say, in Moldflow the transition temperature of the material one finds in the 'Rheological Properties' tab equates the no-flow temperature used in the solver algorithms? I am just asking because, according to literature, some solvers also use no-flow temperatures determined from viscosity profiles.

Many thanks for your support!

Message 5 of 6
nordhb

Hi,
right, the Transition Temperature data field is used by flow solver when the polymer transitions from molten state to solid state takes place.

So you could use a No-Flow temperature.
Transition Temperature and No-Flow temperature basically means the same, but are measured differently.

In Moldflow words I would put it as:
1)Transition Temperature uses DSC method.
2)No-Flow uses a capillary rheometer (Autodesk Moldflow Plastics Labs has developed such a device in the past,
where you turn off the heating of barrel, to find and measure temperature when melt no longer extrudes.)

Autodesk Moldflow Plastics Labs
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=13151393&linkID=13030537&siteID=123112

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 6 of 6
MartinCavalry
in reply to: nordhb

Hi,

If the Ttrans value in the material`s rheological props tab is deleted, it is still possible to run the analysis.

* So if that value is missing, from where does the no-flow temp. derived? i.e. b5 from PVT or viscosity data?
* Also, if one changes the Ttrans, should the b5 in the PVT be adjusted accordingly to reflect the change in transition (or the other way around if b5 changes then Ttrans should be changed too)?

I`m about to manipulate these material properties, hence my question, sorry I couldn`t seem to find the answer in other threads.
Many thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report