Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moldflow Design Link

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Adam.Mayes
1185 Views, 7 Replies

Moldflow Design Link

Hello all,

We just purchased design link. This may sound like a dumb question but does anyone know how it works.

We installed it but there seems to be no way of activating it(desktop icon etc). Does it integrate into  insight?

Is there any info on how to utilize it. Our Autodesk reseller has no knowlege of the product. We mainly purchased it to be able to import Catia assembly and mesh all parts of the assembly that touch each other so the mesh is matched and also for 2 shot overmolding to match mesh on first and second shot.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Adam

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
nordhb
in reply to: Adam.Mayes

Hi,

Moldflow Design Link integrates with Moldflow Synergy.

When importing you will see additional format choices, and that is how it is recognized.
Moldflow Synergy will automatically identify the location of Moldflow Design Link when doing the first import.

When found it will also be seen with path in Options, tab External Applications.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 3 of 8
Adam.Mayes

Thanks Berndt,

I understand now. I successfully imported a Catia assembly and meshed it with the "process with design link option".

As this is a 2 shot overmolded part, will the mesh of the inner core and the mesh of the outer skin be matched?

I checked precise match for contact faces. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Adam

Message 4 of 8
nordhb

Hi Adam,

you can also use Moldflow Design Link "Direct Import" option.
This will import cad geometry as cad bodies to Synergy.
The advantage is that you can set different mesh density of different cad bodies if needed.
You the select the body, right-click, and "Define Mesh Density..."
So a bit more control, I would say.

You can the setup the meshing in Synergy as well.
Mesher inside Synergy has the option of "Precise match" as well, which tries to match mesh at interface of cad bodies. The default is "Ignore Contact".

Think you need to play with this, to see what suits your workflow and study best.

Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 5 of 8
Adam.Mayes

Hi Berndt,

I have been using the design link and successfuly importing Catia models. I have run into a problem with importing an assembly for an over mold. The software tells me that there is an error in the model which i assume is where the 2 parts contact eachother. If i bring in the model manually it will import. If I try to process with design link in order to match the mesh on the contact faces, I get an error. The cad is perfect. Basically a round shaft inside a round hole. In catia they are line on line with a .001 tolerance. My catia guy tells me that the model cannot be any better.

When I mesh manually it shows overlap/intersection of elements across the contact faces. Any thoughts??

Thanks

Adam

Message 6 of 8
nordhb

Hi Adam,

what happens if you mesh contact faces using "Fault tolerant" setting?

How much is the overlap/intersection at contact interface for the mesh?

Regards,

Berndt

Berndt Nordh
Message 7 of 8
Adam.Mayes
in reply to: nordhb

Does not work with fault tolerant selected. I measuresd overlap in a few places which shows roughly  .01mm on average

Message 8 of 8
nordhb

Hi,
I did a test on a simple model created in Inventor Fusion with a shaft in a cylinder with a hole.
(Diameter outer: 30mm, diameter inner 20mm).
It meshes with precise match and ignore contact.

With the small overlap/intersection of 0.01mm the solver will be able to deal with it, I think.
(I did a test by moving a part insert, meshed with ignore contact, and compared when at interface, +0.01mm and -0.01mm from interface. No difference in temperature result from what I see.)

Regards,

Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report