Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model for Moldflow analysis

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TerrySin
411 Views, 5 Replies

Model for Moldflow analysis

Hi, I am a new moldflow user. I have a question about importing model. Before importing, we will modify the model in CAD software. Should we magnify the model by the shrinkage factor (e.g. 1.006)?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GoncaloRodrigues
in reply to: TerrySin

Hi TerrySin,

You shouldn't apply the shrinkage to the part. When you run a warp analyse, the results will show you the shrinkage factor you need to apply in each point.

Best regards,

Gonçalo Rodrigues
PORTUGAL
Message 3 of 6
TerrySin

Hi Goncalo,

Thanks for reply.
You have mentioned the result. Is "Deflection, differential shrinkage"?

My concern is when moldflow analyze the imported 3D model, it considers the 3D model as the shape of the mold cavity or as the shape of the final plastic product. If moldflow consider the 3D model as the shape of the the product, does it consider the enlargement (shrinkage) of the product in the deflection analysis? (The product is enlarged by the shrinkage factor during the mold desgin.)

Our clients require us molding precision product therefore the dimensions and tolerances are very important. Sholud we consider the "Deflection, all effect" result or "Deflection, differential shrinkage"?
Message 4 of 6
sat_sony

Hi

The analysis considers only the CAD model without shrinkage.

In case if u want to measure part dimension to compare with the final part that is coming out of mold, then we need to add the shrinkage factor to the CAD model to account for the mold shrinkage and then do the analysis.

Normall as practice we supply the CAD geometry and the tool supplier will add the shrinkage factor. For analysis it is not practised, but if we need to measure a particular dimension, we need to add shrinkage factor.

When u want to measure any dimension, Use Deflection all effects: Deflection plot for all the three direction.

U can add shrinkage factor either to the CAD model or to the part Mesh or to the final warped geometry after analysis.

In case of further quries pls revert back.

Rgds
satheesh P
Message 5 of 6
TerrySin

Thanks for your reply!!
Message 6 of 6
navam

If I remember right, moldflow had shrinkage module. If your parts are tight tolerance then you may try shrinkage analysis.

Regards
Navam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report