Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Overmolding with Rubber insert

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lek3civil
523 Views, 2 Replies

Insert Overmolding with Rubber insert

i have to simulate with overmolding process but i have some trouble.My insert is the rubber and i cannot choose rubber material in thermoplastic overmolding process.if i change process to reactive mold for choosing rubber then i switch back to thermoplastic overmolding ,the rubber properties will disappear.

So how can i inject plastic with rubber insert?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
harald_goetz
in reply to: lek3civil

Same question here.

Any suggestions from the Autodesk Team?

Greetings

Harald

Message 3 of 3
nordhb
in reply to: harald_goetz

Hi,

for the scenario described, the rubber part needs to be modeled as a part insert in Thermoplastics Injection Molding.
As there is no combination of thermoplastic and thermoset material databases or solvers the data for part insert needs to be manually created.

What I can suggest as workaround is:
1) For the thermoset rubber material: record description, mechanical properties, thermal properties, solid density
(copy/paste to a text editor)

2) Create a personal material database
(Creating a personal material database procedure here.)

If the rubber has single point thermal properties and isotropic mechanical properties, you could probably simplify and use Mold Material.

Otherwise use Thermoplastic Material as a base.
When creating a new thermoplastic material, PP Generic will populate data fields.
Replace the original properties with the properties of rubber, keep the other original data and save.
If you remove all data not valid for the rubber, you will get an error when running simulation:
“Material is not fully defined”

Note: This is a workaround to be able to make progress.
Be careful with material modification and usage, and result interpretation.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Berndt

Berndt Nordh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report