Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Injection Location Properties dialog

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
567 Views, 4 Replies

Injection Location Properties dialog

Hello,

I tried to set exact position for an injection coin. (Simulation Moldflow Insight 2013 SP1)

The Simulation Moldflow Wiki says:

"Use the Injection Location Properties dialog to set the coordinates for your injection point(s).
To access this dialog, select an injection cone, and then right-click and select (Properties) from the context menu.
Enter a value in the X, Y and/or Z text box to reposition the injection point."

( http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_Moldflow/enu/2013/Help/Insight/0670-Modeling670/1102-Injecti... )

However "properties" in the rc-menu is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It's funny how this trivial question, originally posted in this forum back in 2012 and asked over and over again by new Insight adepts, has still not been answered - even though exactly the same explanation about injection location precise X,Y,Z coordinates is still present in Release 2019 Help system:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MFIA/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-7CF36029-E475-4542-B610-C9A6A3695A4C

People - especially those who have seen how obvious it is in Moldflow Adviser - only seem to get some understanding of why locating the B.C. "injection cone" symbol is not THAT relevant after they learn more about meshing the model, whereas nodes can indeed be created by X,Y,Z coordinates and only then, the injection cone location can be applied to such a precisely defined node. However as we know, the recent trend is applying more and more B.C.'es (Boundary Conditions, including Injection Location among many others) directly to the CAD geometry - i.e. even before the mesh is even created! This is why this seemingly trivial question ("how do I place the Injection Location cone precisely at given X,Y,Z coordinates) started showing up again and much more often than before...

This is why I'm bumping up this old thread - and asking: dear Autodesk, are we missing something or is the explanation in the Insight 2019 help system which I posted a link to simply wrong?

Thanks,

Piotr

Message 3 of 5
Javier.Jubierre

Hi @Anonymous, hi @Anonymous

Thanks for posting in this forum!

Yeah, this is a controversial topic. What we need to understand is that if the Injection Cone (IC) is not on the exact coordinate, it will be not further away that the equivalent of the edge length, which in most of the cases is good enough.

If the precise location of the IC is so important, there are two different approaches:

1. Place the IC prior to the mesh generation. You can query and move the point to the exact location.
  2. If you mesh in 3D, stop the meshing process after the surface generation and modify the mesh so that you can add or move one of the nodes on the surface.

Despite this workaround, I will also recommend you to post this idea of direct location of an IC as an enhancement in our Moldflow Ideas.

I hope it helps!

Cheers,

Javier

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Javier Jubierre
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Javier.Jubierre

Thanks Javier,

As we know there is quite a number of work-arounds for this "issue" so I guess the most questionable and unfortunate is not how we do it, but the mere fact that the newcomers to Moldflow Insight (including previous users of Adviser where the injection location is an object which can be placed and manipulated using precise X,Y,Z coodrinates - it takes some time during my Insight courses that in Insight, the IC (injection cone) is just another BC and it so happens it doesn't have Properties associated to it which could be directly edited... One of my favorite work-around I've been using for many years (and it seems I'm not the only one - Stefan Kuehne just wrote me and e-mail with exactly the same method proposal) is - before even generating the mesh - to create a "Node by coordinates" (with its X,Y and Z being exactly those desired by the user for locating the IC), followed by creating the IC BC anywhere in the model; it's than enough to perform a "Merge Nodes" operation with the first node as the target, and the node the IC is attached to - as the one to merge... Job done!

Thanks and Regards

Piotr

Message 5 of 5
Javier.Jubierre

Hi Piort,

I totally agree with your observations.

Just let me add some ideas. Injection Cones are always BC, also in Adviser. The advantage in Adviser is that the mesh (and nodes) are transparent, and therefore you can move IC based on its coordinates. In Insight, the IC are always attached to a node, and it is the node the one who have the coordinate properties.

Thanks for helping new users with your valuable posting!!

Cheers,

Javier

Javier Jubierre

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report