Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a surface

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
teopado89
1075 Views, 15 Replies

Import a surface

Hi, i have a model and inporting in moldflow it loses one surface.

I can select it in catia, copy in a new file and save it as a cat part, or iges or stl.

When i import the cat part or the iges, i import an empty file in moldflow...

When i import the stl file, i can mesh it but match percentage doesn't change (20%, very very very low) even if i change global edge length...

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
HugoHerrera7042
in reply to: teopado89

Hi Teopado89,

I think you will need to share an image to get a better understanding of your problem.

Nevertheless, when I run into this problem of losing surfaces while importing a file in MoldFLow (usually a udm file), I do the following:

- Go back to CAD Doctor and focus on the 'problem surface', fix any observed issue on it, and most of the time also divide it into smaller surfaces by cutting it.

For this you can use whatever pre-processing software you are using for healing purposes.

Good luck!

Hugo Herrera

Message 3 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: HugoHerrera7042

Hi Hugo, thanks for your advices.

My company didn't buy cad doctor license.
By the way i don't import a udm file, i have a "customized inteface" to read directly catia files. I tried iges or stl because cat part was empty.
Even if i cut the surface in catia, i think moldflow will again recognize empty those files...

Message 4 of 16
HugoHerrera7042

What about Inventor. Do you have Autodesk Inventor?

If so, you can open the CATIA file there, and export it as a *.SAT file, so you can import this into MoldFlow.

This has worked fine for me on models with 'issues'

Good luck!

Hugo Herrera

Message 5 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: HugoHerrera7042

hi Hugo,
no, i have only catia as CAD.
Ok i can import using stl.
Do you know why match % doesn't improve if i change global edge length?

I show statistics of the surface with global edge length 3.5mm (equal to the rest of the part) and with 1.0mm

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
mayur_dhumal

Hi,

What is the Merge Tolerance?
Why dont you use 3D in this case, geometry is not allowing you to go for DD mesh.
I can see some features there at middle region, those are restricting you to get to more than 20%.

Regards,
Mayur
Message 7 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: mayur_dhumal

Hi, 

merge tolerance is 0.1

I din't use 3d because the rest of the model was in dual domain. Can i use dual domain for the rest of the part and 3d for the "missing surface"?

You're right, in the middle of this surface there are some letters and numbers.

Message 8 of 16
harald_goetz

Teopado,

you din´t install Fusion along with Moldflow?

You should try it - even if you use it seldom.

It can read your Catia files and thenyou just "send it to Moldflow with a button" (it is saved as SAT file then).

This works for me like a charm for Catia files, I would never read the in into MF directly.

Harald

Message 9 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: harald_goetz

Hi, i have to check because i found moldflow already installed by the preceding user.

Is there a direct link in moldflow insight to open fusion?

Thanks for your advice!

Message 10 of 16
harald_goetz

There is no link I know of.

But in your subscription center the download of Fusion should be available.

You can install it after Moldflow and independent of it.

Harald

Message 11 of 16
teopado89

I tried and i don't have on my pc. I tried also to download inventor fusion but it always send me to fusion 360 trial 30 days...
Where can i find it? thanks a lot
Message 12 of 16
raalteh

Try to log into subscription center (subscription.autodesk.com). Click on the big 'download my upgrade' in the middle of the screen, which opens a new page. Look for your Moldflow Synergy product. Assuming you are on active subscription, you will find an Inventor Fusion installer on the 'extas' tab of the 2015 release.

A two prior versions came with inventor built into the Moldflow Synergy Installer as optional installations.

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 13 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: raalteh

Perfect thanks a lot, tomorrow i'll ask my boss these info.

We have a valid license of simulation moldflow insight 2014.

Message 14 of 16
harald_goetz

Stupid me, could have looked into the July | New Support Knowledge Base Solutions (above):

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Inventor-Fusion-access-in...

It´s quit similar for 2014 and if your licens is valid you can switch to 2015 anyway.

Harald

Message 15 of 16
raalteh

One other possility is to look at project ARRO, which is currently an invitation-only technology preview.

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2014/06/project-arro-an-invitation-only-technology-previe...

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 16 of 16
teopado89
in reply to: raalteh

Hi everybody, 

i contact my local support centre, and they said i could download inventor fusion with my license. But they think it wont resolve my problem because it's caused by the starting model i receive from the customer.

Maybe arro project (thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report