Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure the warpage results

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rajeshkrishnan
629 Views, 5 Replies

How to measure the warpage results

I am new to moldflow i dont know how to measure warpage Can abybody let me know what is Diflection all effect and deflection all effects in X Y and Z directions. What exactly delection magnitude indicates is it including shrinkage also .
Suppose i need to make reports for deflection in X, Y and Z directions how to know the magintude in X -direction or Y direction which are having range varying in -ve to +ve value . Can anybody let me know this with some illustration.

Plz help me

Regards

Rajesh
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rajeshkrishnan

I don't have access to moldflow right now but it was covered on the training course. The only one that really matters is the total warpage. I think the x, y and z ones just give the results in those directions only therefor summing them (square root of squares) should produce the total. As for measuring it you can set up a plane to measure from. Clearly if the plane is inside the part then you will get pos and neg results. I cant remember how to setup the plane but I am sure it will all be in the help database. I would recommend the warpage course if you get the opportunity.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi - There is a command in result menu > export warpage data. save the delected model in stl format. Now compare the stl file with your original file in a 3D CAD software and make a report.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hello,

In the different XX, YY and ZZ vectors you can go to the properties and in the tab Deflection you can unmark the vectors you don't want to see the deflection.
For example, when you check "Deflection, all effects:X Component" you see the deflection in the 3 axes. So, you go to the properties and in the tab Deflection you unmark Y and Z directions. Now you just see the deflection in XX direction.

When you choose "Deflection, all effects:Deflection" you also can check the deflection in the different axis. You just need to choose the "Examine Result" in the Results toolbar and then pick in the part (wait a moment). A board will appear with the information about the point you pick (postion before deflection, after deflection and the deformation vector). Normally I use them to make my reports. Like that, my costumer will know the deflection of the most important points.

I hope that these informations will help you...!!!

Best regards,

Engº. Gonçalo Rodrigues
MOLIPOREX, S.A.
Portugal
Message 5 of 6

Dear Rajesh

Deflection all effect means deflection due to Shrinkage ,cooling and orientation .These are the main factor for warpage in a part. In case of Dual Domain mesh tick isolate cause of warpage in process setting wizard then you will get the amount of deflection due to shrinkage ,Cooling and orientation. As you mention you want to know about deflection in X,Y and Z direction for that you just use your co-ordinate geometry knowledge. In case of warpage the main important result which is useful for Tool Designer and Product Designer are deflection all effect due to shrinkage ,Cooling and orientation. I think it will help you.

Thanks &Regards
Chandan Sarkar
Minda Industries Limited
R&D centre
Gurgaon ,Haryana
India
Thanks and Regards
Chandan Sarkar
LG Home Appliances India Lab.
Greater Noida

Message 6 of 6
lkrauss

in the case when you want to measure the deflection in one specific direction, you need to fine first an anchoor plane. It can be usefull if you want to measure a flatness defect for example.
You have to place all element of your plan in a new layer, then hide all others and you will have directly the flatness defect for example.

Ludovic

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report