Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design Overlap Gate in Moldflow Insight

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
birajlahkar
1266 Views, 5 Replies

How to design Overlap Gate in Moldflow Insight

Can anyone guide me to design Overlap Gate in Moldflow Insight. Is it possible to design? Why I asked because overlapping is not allowed in moldflow.

Please have a look at attached image for an example.

EDGE-GATE.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tim.vanast
in reply to: birajlahkar

Overlapping is not allow in Moldflow because by it's definition it is two volumes on top of eachother.  In reality, you do not have two volumes overlapping.  So you just need to create a model that contains the correct volume for both the runner and part.

Are you modeling for 3d, dual domain, or midplane?

Tim

Message 3 of 6
birajlahkar
in reply to: tim.vanast

Thanks a lot, Tim!

I am modeling for Dual Domain.

Please drop some resolution. Can I design edge gate instead of Overlap gate?

Regards

Lahkar

Message 4 of 6
tim.vanast

If it were me, I would model the gate in the dual domain mesh up to the full round runner.  That would make the gate to part interface more clear in the mesh. 

You could change to an edge gate if it's allowable by the part.  Unless you just want to model it as an edge gate to make it easier to model.  If so, you can certainly do that and your results should be very close for the part as a whole.  But if you're looking specifically at shear at the gate, it might be off a bit there.  It's possible that could affect your pressure numbers a bit if it's a shear sensitive material.

I hope this helps more than confuses.

Tim

Message 5 of 6
raalteh

Hi,

Tim is correct that two volumes should not overlap in Moldflow, but I believe what you intend to do is not really have two entities overlap, but more account for the actual shape and size and shape of the gate. If you model the part and gate (and runner in 3D CAD), you can simulate what you want with the Insight 3D solution if you mesh part and gate (and possibly the runner system) in 3D). Using a beam gate or Dual Domain would not be a good solution.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 6 of 6
nicola.pavan

Hi Iahkar,

I never use overlap gate, not in my study at least.

If you are modeling the cold runner with beams, and you don't have to evaluate so accurately what is happening at the gate (but just pressure drop and shear rate) you can use edge gate.

I've found results very similar.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report