Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Aspect Ratio

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
birajlahkar
4531 Views, 8 Replies

High Aspect Ratio

How to reduce this components aspect ratio ? Plz help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
nishit78
in reply to: birajlahkar

Perhaps you should share a model without the aspect ratio diagnostic so get a clearer image of what the elements look like.

My guess is you haven't removed the small radii from the corners and as a result your mesh size is too coarse to caputre the radii well.

If you really want to use the radii in the analysis you can work with local mesh densities to ensure that the radii are meshed with a finer setting. Ofcourse this will be at the expense of much higher element count and longer analysis times.

Message 3 of 9
birajlahkar

Thanks for your response. Yes, I didn't remove the radius of the component. I am using Autodesk Moldflow Insight 2010-R2, while I am trying to give local mesh density. Its not appearing. I don't whats the problem going on.

Message 4 of 9
nishit78

In my experience, local densities only work when the areas where the finer mesh is required is assigned the local mesh density. If you do it the other way you don't get the coarse mesh you only get the fine mesh.

I don't know this for sure and haven't tried it in the new version but if you assign the coarser mesh using the local density then the smaller value of the global edge length over-rides the local setting and you get the entire model with a finer mesh setting.

I hope i am trying to explain this properly.

Ni****

Message 5 of 9
MehtaMJ

Yes, Filet and Blends give rise to large number of high aspect ratio triads.  to over come this problem I use Degenerate Element tolerance Value  between 0.1 and 0.4 in mesh repair tool and/ or Global  merge use value between 0.1 and 0.4. Some time this action switch edges.

Either correct it the same or live with.

Mukund Mehta

Livonia, MI. USa

Message 6 of 9
birajlahkar

Thank you Mr. Ni**** and Mr. Mehta for sharing your experience. Eventually I removed the small radii and rounds from the original CAD model and meshed it. Now I got good result.

Regards.....

Message 7 of 9
madhukeshwart

Yes, Filets or Blends  will results in  large number of high aspect ratio trias.

1. you can first suppress smaller Filets or Blends by using any cad software/moldflow cad doctor/ cad fix tools.

2. Then import the same cad model in moldflow  , try with smaller GEL.

3. Try with enabling " Optimize aspect ratio by surface curvature control"

4. If not  try with enabling " Optimize aspect ratio by proximity control"

5. If not try with smaller quad heights,

6. If not try by increaing merge tolerances.

7. If not try Mesh smoothing/ area remeshing.

8. You can try with various combinations of any of the above

9. Lastly you can try with mesh reparing tools like insert node, swap elements, merge nodes. etc.

10. If nothing from above said things din't help. then go with higher aspect / with 3d mesh.

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 8 of 9
birajlahkar

Extremely pleasurable reply. Thank you a lot. I will try to strive it.

Message 9 of 9
klp2kor
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Hello,

Can anyone explain me how "Optimize aspect ratio by Proximity control" works and how it helps in accuracy of results.

Thanks and regards.

KLP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report