Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Core Shift analysis alter wall thickness?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tim.vanast
1073 Views, 5 Replies

Does a Core Shift analysis alter wall thickness?

Does anyone know if a core shift analysis alters the wall thickness the appropriate amount as the core shifts?  This would then be seen as a restricstion (depending on the amount of shift) to flow on the one side, and a flow leader on the other side of the core.  This intern should create an even greater core shift do to the differential flow down the lenght of the core.

Thanks,

Tim

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Shawn_Gedman
in reply to: tim.vanast

Hello Tim,

Yes, the core shift will be taken into consideration during your 3D flow analysis when the core shift option is on.  We start filling the part, perform a core shift step, update the part mesh, and then repeat through the duration of the cycle.  You should see the core shift being performed between fill steps in the logs, similar to the image below.

logs.jpg

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 6
tim.vanast
in reply to: Shawn_Gedman

Thanks Shawn.  I knew that the core shift was running.  I just wasn't sure if the mesh was changed to reflect the new thickness in the part.  I can understand how this would be done with a midplane since the thickness is just a value.  I wasn't sure if the 3d mesh was updated.  I appreciate your answer.

Thanks,

Tim

Message 4 of 6
sadashivpimple

The nodes are just moving there are no new nodes created.

if Moldflow can generate new nodes then it will be against the conservation laws

Message 5 of 6

Correct, the mesh is being "updated" so the part is not being remeshed or recreated during the process.

Thank You,

Shawn

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 6 of 6
sadashivpimple

I think u guys know it but still in 3D mesh the core can bend more then part thickness.

If you perform core shift usind Fusion mesh then the core can understand that i can not bend anymore because zero thickness is reached.

In 3D the nodes are moving but we can understand it if the core is bending more then your part thickness then something is worng

Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report