Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Die-casting Simulation?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jeffmueller5430
4625 Views, 5 Replies

Die-casting Simulation?

Does Autodesk have an application that can simulate aluminum die-casting, i.e.- similar to Autodesk Moldflow Insight for plastics?

If not, what (not-Autodesk) applications are available?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Autodesk does not have a specialized software for die casting.

I have heard the people achieved good results by applying Autodesk Moldflow analysis to die casting. I never tried it myself but from the general principles I would advise:

• Prandtl numbers for metal melts are way smaller than polymer melts. So the inertia is way more important for metals than for plastics. Thus, for die casting only use 3D analysis with inertia terms swiched ON
  • Use finer meshes and bias the mesher to get finer mesh on the surface. This is to better catch to boundary layer effect.
  • While HTC for polymers molding affect flow only marginally, for the metal die casting it is much more important. Thus, select correct HTC in the Part(3D) properties. HTC for metal casting even dependent upon such things as the thickness of lubricant applied to the mold.
Message 3 of 6

Alex, thanks for your reply.  It sounds creative and we might attempt it but we'd be more interested in a supported solution, even if it's not an Autodesk application.

-Jeff

Message 4 of 6

As far as I know the most popular supported solution for die casting is magmasoft. 

Message 5 of 6

Alex, thanks for your follow-up.
Message 6 of 6

Die-casting Simulation or Die Casting Direction? Many manufacturers are using the die-casting technique to achieve the desired shape, size and weight. It has really become a popular method as it is cost-effective, easy to use and fast in delivery. However, there are few things that require attention while using die casting simulation software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report